Minerals in kidneys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucciolato

Reaction score
My rabbit, Yub Nub, is at the vet today for laser therapy for his leg. They took x-rays and a vet tech just called me and said he had a lot of minerals in his kidneys. I'm not sure what that means. I tried to ask her but she said the vet would talk to me when I got there to pick him up around 5. Is that kidney stones, sludge, or something else? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think since your vet said it, you should be asking your vet what it means. Because nobody is in your vets head. Best to just wait and hear from them since some people can use 1 word for a variety of different things, so it could mean any of what you suggested.

I talked with the vet last night and one Yub Nub's kidneys is completely calcified and non-functioning. His other kidney is doing all the work and he is fine. So I was panicking for nothing.

Not sure why he developed the issue. I adopted him from a rescue 2 years ago. The vet I take him to is the same one he went to while at the rescue but she didn't have any x-rays from the past to see if it was an older problem. I believe he is almost 8 now. He gets all the hay he wants and we only feed our rabbits Mazuri Timothy based pellets. We give a very small amount of alfalfa about once a month as a treat but I don't think I will be giving him that anymore. He gets some green leaf lettuce and about every month and a half a small piece of banana. Sometimes I give pumpkin seeds and a few oats and if he has had to be on meds I give him a cranberry afterwards as a reward. I will be avoiding any high calcium veggies for him. But all in all I believe that the diet I have him on is pretty good.

Last edited:
Not sure why he developed the issue. I adopted him from a rescue 2 years ago. The vet I take him to is the same one he went to while at the rescue but she didn't have any x-rays from the past to see if it was an older problem. I believe he is almost 8 now. He gets all the hay he wants and we only feed our rabbits Mazuri Timothy based pellets. We give a very small amount of alfalfa about once a month as a treat but I don't think I will be giving him that anymore. He gets some green leaf lettuce and about every month and a half a small piece of banana. Sometimes I give pumpkin seeds and a few oats and if he has had to be on meds I give him a cranberry afterwards as a reward. I will be avoiding any high calcium veggies for him. But all in all I believe that the diet I have him on is pretty good.

That sounds pretty good to me. Older buns can certainly be prone to kidney issues. But not everyone knows the importance of leaving out those high calcium high protein items. I sure didn't when I was new to bunnies and my first boy got a mix of timothy and alfalfa every day, which likely helped his kidney issues.

Latest posts

Back