Separating bonded babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnieNMolly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two 3.5 month old girl babies that I plan on getting spayed when they are a little older. I've kept them together up to this point because they are bonded and absolutely love each other, but was recently told I should separate them when they are not supervised due to possible fighting when puberty hits. I have a couple questions:

1. Can separating them cause them to become depressed? I'm afraid they will stop eating/playing if they are sad.

2. I keep them in a large playpen right now (almost the size of a whole bedroom). Can caging them to keep them separate cause them to become unbonded?

3. Does anyone have tips on how to handle this situation?

4. Will it be possible to re-bond after spaying if they do start to not like each other?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm having a really though time knowing I will have to cage them in order to keep them apart as they aren't used to being in a cage.

Get them spayed now and avoid the issue all together.

1. Potentially. But many people believe baby bonds are not real bonds.
2. Yes it can.
3. I would get them spayed ASAP and just keep them together.
4. Maybe. There are no guarantees.

you're 10000% they are both girls?

Thank you so much for the response! The vet told me they were both girls so I went off of what he said! I am going to start separating them tonight. I had to get a cage first. A couple vets told me I had to wait 6-8 months before spaying. Do you know if they can be spayed earlier?

Ive had all my girls done around 3 - 3.5 months.
They CAN be done at almost any age. But if the vet isnt confident enough to do it on smaller rabbits they put their foot down at 6 months. Typically its nice for a bun to be atleast 1lb.

Ask around and see if you can find a vet that will do it now. Try insisting.

I refused to seperate my brother and sister pair and had them done early so there were never issues. Why risk seperating them if you can avoid the issues all together.

I agree! I'd love to get it done as soon as I can. I'm having such a hard time with caging them. I feel absolutely terrible about it. Thanks for the info! I will try to find a vet that can spay sooner!

Latest posts

Back