changing litter box a lot????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My New DIY hay rack I want to share.

0736afe3ccc9b7b5feb73e1f37bd0d47.jpg

I bought these at the dollar store and there were 2 in a pack. They are very bendable. I kept the one side straight and curved out the other end. I clipped the straight part on the inside of the cage using pins.

312eca792c046a5c5018609887db2025.jpg

Sorry for the messy cage :)

Last edited:
how many times do you change the litter box?
i keep forgetting what day i change it, but i feel like i change it a lot.
when i change it i put down some care fresh bedding and fill half the litter box with hay, but by the end of the day its full of poop and the bedding is all drenched in pee.
is there a more absorbent bedding then carefresh? when it does get filled up i put another layer of carefresh so he's not sitting in poop and pee after about 3 days (it gets really heavy) i'll dump it in the compost. I have looked at the binkybunny.com wire litter box cover, but i'm a bit nervous to try that, since he is sorta prone to sore hocks.
Answer - in my case and for my experience (over 5 years) is every day. This is what I have been using for the last couple of years. One plastic orange coloured roller paint tray - per 2 rabbits - and layed inside that is a plastic meshed tray.
Method: Place a length of around 2 feet (0.6m) of toilet paper - which will be folded to line on end of the mesh tray. Then place you hay inside this. What this does is the toilet paper soaks up the excess urine. A rabbit will sit in this for several minutes, several times a day - and my rabbits look forward to the time I replace the tray. I have 4 rabbits, so I have 4 sets of the 2 trays.

My New DIY hay rack I want to share.

0736afe3ccc9b7b5feb73e1f37bd0d47.jpg

I bought these at the dollar store and there were 2 in a pack. They are very bendable. I kept the one side straight and curved out the other end. I clipped the straight part on the inside of the cage using pins.

312eca792c046a5c5018609887db2025.jpg

Sorry for the messy cage :)

You know how you placed the hay on top of the grid (thing) if I did that for Andy he would jump into that spot and pee/poop there (while eating the hay of course)

You know how you placed the hay on top of the grid (thing) if I did that for Andy he would jump into that spot and pee/poop there (while eating the hay of course)

Yea my rabbit started jumping up there too. Such cute weirdos these rabbits are.

Answer - in my case and for my experience (over 5 years) is every day. This is what I have been using for the last couple of years. One plastic orange coloured roller paint tray - per 2 rabbits - and layed inside that is a plastic meshed tray.
Method: Place a length of around 2 feet (0.6m) of toilet paper - which will be folded to line on end of the mesh tray. Then place you hay inside this. What this does is the toilet paper soaks up the excess urine. A rabbit will sit in this for several minutes, several times a day - and my rabbits look forward to the time I replace the tray. I have 4 rabbits, so I have 4 sets of the 2 trays.

That sure sounds like a lot of work. Have you considered some of the other options on this thread? The wood pellets topped with hay (daily) in a large box (18" x 24") would easily service 2 rabbits with changes needed only once every 3-4 days.

I have two small bunnies. I give them two litter boxes, but they seem to prefer one of them. I change their favourite box every two to three days, or whenever I see a lot of poop. I add fresh hay to it every day. The other box only needs changing once a week or less.

I put a thick layer of newspaper on the bottom to absorb the pee, followed by either wood stove pellets or Yesterday's News. Then on top I put a layer of hay. Sometimes Zelda rips the newspaper up, but it's no problem as they still use the box.

I've never used Carefresh because I've heard it's expensive. So I don't know how it compares with stove pellets or YN for absorbency.

I'm not sure about the litter box cover, I guess it would depend on how much time they spend in the box. My littlest one likes to sit in the box and meditate while munching on hay. The bigger one just does her thing and then sits beside the box to munch.

That sure sounds like a lot of work. Have you considered some of the other options on this thread? The wood pellets topped with hay (daily) in a large box (18" x 24") would easily service 2 rabbits with changes needed only once every 3-4 days.
Not a lot of work - 10 mins max per day.

Why do I change it every day? Answer: Because flies can lay eggs on the poop and within a couple of days the worms (or whatever you call them) can crawl onto the rabbit the next time it poops - and then you will have fly strike: no-brainer really.

Why do I change it every day? Answer: Because flies can lay eggs on the poop and within a couple of days the worms (or whatever you call them) can crawl onto the rabbit the next time it poops - and then you will have fly strike: no-brainer really.

Well good for you if it doesn't bother you to do it everyday, but unless you live in a place infested by flies, it's really not necessary. Especially in winter when there are almost no flies around (or maybe you live in a very hot place? For my part, I haven't seen a fly for months). I would be more cautious if the rabbit lived outside, especially during the hottest months, but mine live inside the house. Like Blue eyes said, I've been changing the litterbox every three days for the past 10 years and I've never had a fly strike or a worm problem.
Anyway, my veranda is full of carnivorous plants, and the flies are more attracted to them than to bunnies - flies don't live long in my house XD.

Well good for you if it doesn't bother you to do it everyday, but unless you live in a place infested by flies, it's really not necessary. Especially in winter when there are almost no flies around (or maybe you live in a very hot place? For my part, I haven't seen a fly for months). I would be more cautious if the rabbit lived outside, especially during the hottest months, but mine live inside the house. Like Blue eyes said, I've been changing the litterbox every three days for the past 10 years and I've never had a fly strike or a worm problem.
Anyway, my veranda is full of carnivorous plants, and the flies are more attracted to them than to bunnies - flies don't live long in my house XD.
Guess you have the last word on this one then?

Latest posts

Back