Neglected Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollyann

Reaction score
Hi all,
My step-brother and his wife have an albino lop that they don't even know the gender of. He (I think it's a he) lives in a tiny cage on concrete that they never clean, and they feed him cheap chaff once a day. He is never given hay or grass, and upon feeling him, is severely underweight beneath his coat. I am incredibly worried about his digestive health.

They believe that he is aggressive - he's not at all, in fact he's actually very confident and friendly. He bites on occasion as he is constantly trying to bite through his cage because he is so bored. I have confronted my step-brother about his weight, and been told "he's fine" and "he's not underweight".

What do I do? He's not at the stage where calling the RSPCA would be appropriate, so I have no idea how to help.

Thanks in advance.

If they abuse him that way, why are they keeping him? I mean, if they don't have any interest in the rabbit and think he is aggressive, wouldn't it be better for everyone to rehome him? (I really don't think I would like to have a dirty cage with a dying animal in it anywhere on my property). If you can't get through your step-brother, maybe try to talk to his wife. You might want to stress the fact that a rabbit can live up to 12 years, and do they really want to keep an aggressive animal who smells and costs some in vegetables for so long for no reason? (sometimes, you have to lay it on a bit thick XD).Try to show them that they (not the rabbit) would benefit from letting the rabbit go to other people. When you hint that someone cares for an animal incorrectly, they tend to dig their heels in and it's even harder to make them relinquish their hold on them because they feel criticized.
Could you forster the rabbit until a family can be found for him? Or do you know someone who could do it?
If it comes to that, cages that weren't closed correctly and rabbits who vanish into thin air are not unheard of...

If he is severely underweight, he actually is at the stage that would be considered abuse and authorities should be called. A rabbit that isn't being fed properly and is severely underweight as a result, would be considered a case of animal abuse/cruelty due to slow starvation from proper food being withheld. If you are sure the rabbit is very underweight I would repeat to them that their rabbit is severely thin which is either due to lack of food or a health problem, and that they need to either let you get the rabbit the proper care that it needs or they need to surrender it to the rspca. If they don't do this then I would call animal control/rspca and report the abuse. Or if you don't want them thinking it was you that called on them, then just skip talking to them again and go straight to calling the rspca.

If you are unsure if the rabbit is underweight, you could tell your step brother(or wife) that you are going to take their rabbit to a rabbit vet to make sure it is alright. Then if the rabbit is in fact severely underweight, the vet could take the rabbit into custody. Just make sure the vet is aware it's not your rabbit, and that you are getting it checked for someone else(with their permission).

I hope you will find a solution for that poor rabbit! Tell us how it went!

Could you just simply suggest your step brother to give this bun to you because they obviously don;'t need the bunny? Would you be able to adopt and take care of him?

Good luck!

I have told them that I would be happy to take the rabbit, however he belonged to my step-brother's wife's mother, who has cancer and may not make the end of the year, so that are stubbornly holding on to him and claiming that they love him.

I am 16 and my step-brother is 25, so both my father and step-mother have told me to drop the issue and keep my mouth shut. Regardless, I will be seeing the rabbit in a week, and if the situation has not improved, i am calling the RSPCA.

Thanks for everyone's advice, will check back in a week or so.

Have you tried to print out articles on rabbit care and give them to read? At least, about giving him hay, Or better, when you come to visit, bring a package of a good hay. For example, you can get American Pet dinner hay at Petco for like $5.99
How about going even further, can you get a bag of Oxbow adult rabbit food at Amazon and bring with hay? I doubt they would throw it away.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JANQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Do you have any money on your own? usually its much cheaper to shop online for rabbit supplies
Do you live in US?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, is the sick owner aware of what going on? The neglect started since your brother's wife got the rabbit, right?

Hi, not in the US. Next time I see the rabbit I will take him hay and pellets, but will still call the authorities if he has not improved.

I have sent my step-brother and his wife heaps of articles and care sheets, all of which they have either ignored or refused to accept.

Unfortunately I have no way of contacting his previous owner, as she has moved to Slovakia (we are in AUS).

Good luck, it's never easy standing up to your family especially when they refuse to see reason, hopefully bunny will be safe soon either with you or someone else who cares about animals..

Latest posts

Back