Helicopter bun?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenjade

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm Lauren and my bunny is called Bean :)

I've had him for a few months now, and he has always had uppy ears but recently they go up and down haha. Sometimes it's the left and sometimes it's the right, but it's it's usually always one lazy one! I think he's part lion head and part lop, but im no expert. Can anyone shed some light? I have read that they can sometimes both fully drop. I'm not bothered just curious!

Thanks!

13725485_1775428782669293_335064567_n.jpg

Lauren

HE IS SO CUTE.

Yes, they can drop a little later in life like that. How old is he? It may end up that he is a lop- you never really know until they are full grown. I have a dwarf mix who decided at about two years old one of her ears was too heavy and is now has ears just like your picture. But she was 2 years old when it happened! So long as he's not scratching or shaking his head excessively, don't worry about it. He just looks perpetually half interested. :D

Hello. He's really cute. Where did you get him? If you don't know his breed, I'm gonna guess it's a petshop bunny. If that's the case, there are chances he is indeed a mix. His face look lop-ish to me, with the muzzle which is a bit wide and squished. Part-lops can have kinda changing and capricious ears. I had a lop - lionhead mix, his ears stayed up for months, and I woke up one day to find the tip of his ears were all "soft" and falling. After that, they were straight again before one of them went down permanently while the other was in between. The "lop" phenomenon comes from the width of the crown (that's the main difference with uppy ears rabbits and explain why a nethie might have trouble giving birth to a cross lop baby, for example, as the crown of the head is wide and might get "stuck" on the way out), so mix often have crowns which are wider than the crowns of uppy ears but not wide enough to warrent a full lop. The ears are often a bit thicker and shorter too. Thus the difficulties to stabilize themselves in a definitive position. It might take a few months and you probably end up with a helicopter or a kinda lop with more ear mobility than a real lop (even lops aren't equals when it comes to straighten their ears - my Tybalt is a purebred lop but he can put his ear up when needed whereas some rabbits can't).

I agree with the above, I'm gonna bet he's a lop mix (or could be a very young lop). he is adorable though!

I could fix Bean's ears. Just let him live with Uncle bunnyman for a little while. He would get lots of snuggles and treats.

Okay- that probably wouldn't fix his ears. What a cute little bun.

Latest posts

Back