Apple Cider Vinegar?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRabbits

Reaction score
I use organic Apple Cider Vinegar containing the "mother" (probiotic bacteria used to ferment the ACV) mixed with water for some of my pets. I mix four tablespoons of it per gallon of dechlorinated water. I use it for my parrotlet, my canary, my quails, and my rats. I've found it helps coats and feathers, especially during molting. I used it for a parrot who had a terrible plucking habit and his breast was totally bald, he regained most of his feathers. It's also good for their digestion and prevents "sour crop" (overgrowth of crop bacteria) in birds. Non-organic plain ACV does not have the same beneficial effects.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses or has used ACV with their rabbits. I'd like to try it, but I don't want to harm them in any way. For new pets I start with a lower dose and gradually increase it. The animals seem to like the scent and taste, and none of them has ever refused to drink it.

I know apple cider vinegar is used to prevent coccidiosis by acidifying the rabbit's stomach - it's used by a lot of breeders and vets recommend to add a table spoon of vinegar per liter of water when you get a bunny from a petshop. I don't know if it has other beneficial effects, but it's not harmful...

Well, just to add a different opinion here:

First: I too do think it's not harmful in any way.
But I havn't heard any verified real positive effects, just because something has a catchy acronym doesn't make it work wonders - imho it's just a hype, although one that's really cheap and doesn't hurt anyone, so go ahead and try. I guess it's a lot like homeopathy - if believing in it makes you feel better, it already works great.

At the levels at which ACV is used imho there is no significant acidification of the stomach (their digestion works fine without additional stuff, if not remove the cause of the problem), and there is no desinfecting effect. Imho even in the contrary, water with a little vingar in it really attracts that pesky little flies.

But there's no harm in trying it, and I can't rule out that some rabbits realy like the taste (mine didn't care at all), but as I said, if there is a problem with their digestion or water intake try to find the cause anyway.

To prevent coccidosis I feed plants with tannins (trees like willow, hazel,....) and mugwort, I can't proof that works either, but it seems a lot more plausible.

Well, just to add a different opinion here:

First: I too do think it's not harmful in any way.
But I havn't heard any verified real positive effects, just because something has a catchy acronym doesn't make it work wonders - imho it's just a hype, although one that's really cheap and doesn't hurt anyone, so go ahead and try. I guess it's a lot like homeopathy - if believing in it makes you feel better, it already works great.

Just to clarify, I have actually used it. I first read about it when trying to find ways to help my rescued African Grey parrot, who had plucked his breast until there was no skin left, much less feathers. The vet told me that long term severe pluckers cause a vicious circle, they pluck until their skin is raw. Then when the feathers start to grow it irritates their skin and they pluck them out again. I tried ACV and it took a month but his feathers started to grow back, and this time he didn't pluck them again.

I also used it on my Parisian Frill canary. Parisian Frill have curly feathers which often become cysts when they molt. My canary had stuck into a perpetual molt because of the feather cysts, he could have died. After he was on ACV water for a few weeks, the feathers started coming back without becoming cysts. He is now almost finished molting.

I also give the ACV water to my rats. They don't have a specific health problem but they like the water and it doesn't harm them.

I don't think ACV is a cure-all of course, it's just something which has some beneficial effects and doesn't seem to do harm. I never give it to a new species until I've done some homework or asked more experienced people if it's ok to give them.

Latest posts

Back