How do I give my rabbits medicine successfully?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amame

Reaction score
I read a post where someone injected lettuce with medicine. I have two rabbits, one with snuffles and the other an upper repository infection. I went to an exotic vet. Its very difficult to give them medicine with the syringe. When my boyfriend is available to help me, its easier because he is good at handing them. He usually holds them as I slowly push the medicine into their mouths. Our schedules are different and he lives 40 miles away so I can't have his help as often as I want. I have been putting their medicine in banana, which really helps because they enjoy banana. Maria (the one suffering with snuffles) loves banana. Thumper (suffering from the urinary tract infection) likes it but not as much. This morning she did not even touch it. Applesauce use to help but they don't want it that often.. They may lick it a bit but never finish.. Baby food has been unsuccessful. Could be the flavors though or even the brand.

Their favorite greens is arugula and they enjoy romaine lettuce as well.

Any advice? :holedig:

Putting medication in or on food is not advised as you cant guarantee how much they actually get vs how much drips off or gets rubbed off somewhere.
Do a bunny burrito. Wrap the rabbit in a towel and hold them facing outwards between your legs while you're kneeling on the ground. THen with 1 hand on either side of their top jaw open their mouth and with your other hand squirt the medication in the gap of their mouth.

Here is a burrito instruction post with photos!
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showpost.php?p=842699&postcount=8

I heard it is best to squirt it in the area between the cheek and the side teeth. (They can be be wrapped in the bunny burrito.) Putting it in the cheek area prevents the possibility of them choking or aspirating on the food by forcing it down their throat. In the cheek, they'll have no choice but to just swallow it. I've done it this way on several occasion with no problem.

I used the mashed banana when one of mine had snuffles once. This can work IF your bunny really likes banana AND you use a very small amount. I mashed up about 1 rounded teaspoon of banana with each dose of medicine. She eagerly lapped up all of that little bit of banana/medicine each time. In that case, we knew she was getting ALL of her dose.

For the rabbit that is being picky, you may have no other choice than to syringe feed it in the cheek.

Thank you. My boyfriend helped me these past two days. I will being doing it myself tonight.. Hope it works out.

I've found that with some of my bunnies if I take them to a strange place they have never been, like on the front porch or even in my car, they sit still and don't try as hard to get away from the meds or me. Same thing with clipping their nails, they sit still and let me do it if I do it in the car.

I've found that with some of my bunnies if I take them to a strange place they have never been, like on the front porch or even in my car, they sit still and don't try as hard to get away from the meds or me. Same thing with clipping their nails, they sit still and let me do it if I do it in the car.
That's a good idea; thank you.

Back