Head Tilt or Personality?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelw114

Chelw114
Reaction score
I have a 5 month old Holland Lop that I just got a month ago. I've noticed that when I get him out to work on posing or when he's sitting up in his cage he will often have a slight head tilt to the side. His head tilts to whichever side I'm on. When he's laying down or up exploring his head is completely straight. He's eating and drinking well and isn't showing any signs of illness. Is this just who he is or probably head tilt?

image.jpg

Here he is sitting down for a second while he's exploring the air outside lol No head tilt in sight.

image.jpg

If he's not favoring one side and is tilting it to whichever side you are one, I would be inclined to think that it is his way of getting the best look at you and following your movements. True head tilt will almost always be just one side and will usually progressively worsen. Keep an eye on him, but to me it just sounds like a vision thing.

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll definitely keep an eye on him.

One thing to keep in mind is that rabbits see with the sides of their faces (they can't see in front of their noses). So my two will tilt their heads like that if they are looking down at something. My heart skips a beat every time though because I'm always so worried about head tilt. :)

I'm no expert on the subject, but if it was head tilt I don't think he would be able to keep his head straight at all. In most cases I've seen, it's more pronounced and it's permanent. In my knowledge it also comes with other symptoms, the most prominent beeing having trouble to keep their balance (and weird eyes movements sometimes). So I think there is nothing to worry about here. But I understand completely - after 7 years, I'm getting a bit better but I spent years panicking everytime one of my pet sneezed... ^^

I agree with what everyone else is saying. I also wanted to add that he's just adorable. I think he's just watching you since you said he tilts to whichever side you are on.

Thank you deaners. �� I'm pretty sure everyone who has said he's trying to look at me is right. After watching him some more, he's very clearly choosing when to tilt his head.

Back