Kit is Not Nursing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyLou

Reaction score
Hello again! I seem to have encountered literally every problem possible with nursing bunnies.. Anyway, my question is kinda hard to find on Google, so now I'm here.

My doe gave birth to three babies yesterday around 2pm. We had to assist her (she often has minor complications; she gets them out, but not very alive.) First baby came no problem, second got slightly stuck. She would've gotten it out, but not in time. We were sure the little guy was gone, but about thirty seconds later, he started breathing! The third took about ten minutes to come and was sadly very gone. Now, we have two little guys that I REALLY would like to live.. I've been trying to get some show-able babies and these two are banded (Dwarf Hotots). Aghh it's frustrating.

SO, finally to my problem.. My doe is nursing very well-- she's a great mother, very protective and does a great job. So today, I checked on the kits. Found one round belly and.. the other one is not nursing. Concerned, I brought out the mom and tried to get some milk into the little one. He is simply not interested! He has no interest in suckling or the mama. I tried flipping mama- nothing. Tried holding her over him- nothing. I brought out the other baby, who -- with a ping-pong sized belly-- tried frantically to nurse, unlike the other kit. It's a huge difference! Already, the nursing kit is noticably bigger and is very eager to nurse. The other one, not so much. It's so bizarre!

I considered the smaller one being a peanut, but I am positive I would've recognized from birth if he was a peanut, and he does not show any deformities or similarities to a peanut. Just a smaller kit. However, now that I am looking at my pics, I can see that his hind legs are very forwardish.. I don't know haha. I've never seen a peanut in my litters (surprisingly.)

So, if anyone could please help enlighten the situation/give advice/explanations/anything, that would be so helpful! I have no clue why the kit isn't interested/doesn't want to nurse.. Thanks, Lou.

Oh, and the pics attached-- the first one is a pic from yesterday. Not much difference there. I only noticed the size difference today. The second pic (yes, they are in a spoon) is from today. On both pictures, the smaller kit is the one closest to the camera. The bigger one is on the outside.
It's very hard to tell with these pictures, but if I were to take an actual helpful picture (from an above view), you can easily tell apart their sizes. The pics are just to recognize possible peanut? I'm so hopeless here! I think their size difference is due to the kit's lack of nursing but anyways, thanks! (Sorry for the long post!!)

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

Last edited:
There might be something wrong with him...you can try feeding him with a syringe using KMR or goats milk but it may be a losing battle. Sometimes kits don't thrive and you never really know why.

It's quite sad because he's very hungry, squeaking and all, but he will not suckle.. I handfed him some KMR mixture. It will definitely not keep him alive, but I'm hoping it will help keep him strong enough in case he decides to start nursing. I don't understand why he's not nursing if he's so hungry. He also doesn't seem to crawl out of the nest when mama hops in to nurse. He remains snug in the nest, while his sibling launches forward for feeding.. It's quite strange- he just sits there, like he doesn't know how to feed.. I'm hoping things will get better for him.
I had a scare w/ the doe last night. She hadn't eaten or pooped in quite awhile, and she was acting lethargic and in pain. Gave her some BeneBac, and she perked up today. Ah, breeding is so stressful!
Thanks for the reply, Lou.

Just to conclude this haha, about a little bit after I posted the above, he/she (please be a she!) began nursing, but I find it quite difficult to even try nursing him with the mom because she doesn't let down her milk properly while being held and he really doesn't get any milk.
For a day or so, he was really skinny and I was accepting that he probably won't make it, when I spotted the doe nursing. Left her alone for a good 45 mins, and checked the kits bellies. Found a round belly on him!
He's doing pretty well now! They are one week old now. His sibling is fully furred and plump and HUGE, but he seems like he is a couple days behind his sibling. He is still pinkish and he hasn't really filled out, but nonetheless he is growing now, which is good! It's really weird! I think just missing out on the first couple of feedings really stunted his growth.
Though smaller than his sib, he's okay now. :) Honestly, he was either going to go downhill or uphill in this situation. So happy he went uphill! (Oh, and the mom actually was the same deal! She was acting VERY sick. I mean like intestinal blockage-sick, but somehow, she recovered and now she is doing just fine.)
Anyways -- happy things are going well-- thanks, Lou.

I'm glad it worked out! If you need to supplement his feedings you could either see if the doe will just nurse him alone (an extra feeding) or use the KMR.

Back