Male issues.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lah92

Reaction score
My male rabbit seems to have an infection or something on his testicle. He's not a year yet.

image.jpg

Infections with rabbits can be really dangerous because penicillin does not work with them because of a certain enzyme in their puss. I know it can be annoying when people say this, but you should take him to the vet if it does not go away, because animals can die from infections. It could just be a pimple, but I've never seen a pimple on a rabbit before. Usually people drain out an animals infection and then treat them with penicillin, but that will only cause the infection to spread with rabbits. So I would take him to the vet.

Infections with rabbits can be really dangerous because penicillin does not work with them because of a certain enzyme in their puss. I know it can be annoying when people say this, but you should take him to the vet if it does not go away, because animals can die from infections. It could just be a pimple, but I've never seen a pimple on a rabbit before. Usually people drain out an animals infection and then treat them with penicillin, but that will only cause the infection to spread with rabbits. So I would take him to the vet.

As far as draining, I assume your talking about an abscess. What you mention about penicillin and rabbits I've never heard of. Procaine pen g is useful for certain infections in rabbits.

Perhaps there are certain infections in rabbits that are curable with penicillin, but I recently had a rabbit with an abscess on his foot. My dad had taken care of cows with abscesses before, so he advised me to do what he did with the cows which was to drain the abscess and treat him with penicillin, but when we did that the infection only grew. So I did some research and found that Penicillin does not work on rabbits because of an enzyme in their puss. That's why the puss in a rabbit's infection is thick and pasty and not watery like other animals' puss.

So I'm kind of a nerd (and I love this kind of thing) but: It's technically a LACK of an enzyme in their leukocytes. They basically have heterophils instead of neutrophils- just like birds and lizards. Often penicillin will work on an infection on the rim of the abscess, but it will not penetrate inside. And it has to be the injectable form (such as the g pen), an oral form will not work in these guys. Often even the g pen is used in conjunction with other antibiotics (e.g. baytril) and is often only prescribed after the abscess is lanced, drained, and flushed.

That's cool, I did not know that. But yeah the lancing part is the hard part, and that sometimes requires surgery which is dangerous, and that's why you need a vet. But that's neat that different penicillin will work, I kind of wish that I had know that before.

Latest posts

Back