Watery poop. Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elide94

Reaction score
This is the 3rd day that my 6 month old rabbit has been pooping watery poop. The 1st day it was a lot of poop, yesterday not as much, and this morning i only found a little and it had a normal poop in it as well but the rest of it qas watery with no shape.
She has been drinking water, eating a bit of hay, but she really wants to eat bunny food.
She's been acting normal, no position shifting, no loss of appetite. She's happy and playing.
As a side note...i had never fed her hay, just bagged rabbit food. I started giving her hay 3 days ago when i saw her watery poop and i read here that their main source of food should be hay. Also, the day before her watery poop, i fed her cucumber skin

If your rabbit is still having watery diarrhea, you should have her seen by a rabbit savvy vet immediately(bring in a poop sample with you in case the vet wants to test it).

If the hay is moldy at all it could be the cause, or the cucumber. Cucumber is known to sometimes lead to watery poop. I would stop feeding any veggies and check the hay to make sure it doesn't smell sour or musty, and make sure it doesn't have a whitish dust to it or any black spots(all indications of mold). Then if the hay is alright just continue free feeding it(depending on what type of hay it is). Or you may want to just ditch that bag and buy a different one. What type of hay is it that you are feeding?

I bought Timothy hay for her as soon as i saw the watery poop

Ok. I misread that you started the hay before the watery poop, not after. It sounds like it could have been the cucumber that caused this then, but I can only make a guess as to what might be going on and what I would do in a similar situation. It's possible that the cucumber caused the watery poop and now it's been stopped it will clear up on it's own. Usually if minimal(not profuse) watery feces is caused by a veggie with no change of eating or behavior, it will clear up after a day or two on it's own if the rabbit continues to eat well and act normally. But if the veggie didn't cause it but is due to pathogenic bacteria causing the diarrhea, usually it will be profuse diarrhea(but not always) and the rabbit will usually not eat well and act subdued, and this is an emergency that needs immediate vet attention and meds like metronidazole and questran if due to the bacteria clostridium sp. Only you can decide how severe you think it is and if your rabbit is better now or if you need to take her in to be checked out. Certainly if she is having more than just a little spot of watery feces then a visit to the vet is best.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

I would continue feeding the timothy hay as long as she is eating it well, and give her as much as she wants to eat(free feed it), and don't feed any sugary/starchy foods or any veggies. I would also limit pellets as long as she's eating the hay really well(pile the size of her body or bigger, each day). Grass hay like timothy, is the best food to help get a rabbits digestive system back on track as long as the hay is a good quality hay.

I hope it was only the cucumber skin (if your rabbit is not used to vegetables, giving that suddenly was a bad move - go to rabbit.org to learn about a rabbit's correct diet and introduce vegetables slowly one by one starting with chicory when your rabbit's poop is back to normal).
But hay is the main rabbit food. Your rabbit has to eat his own body mass in hay everyday of her life or she is going to have gut and teeth problems and it will lead to serious health issues or even death. Pellets (I hope you are not giving her some mix) are a supplement, they are not a staple food. In a way, your rabbit's problem was a good thing if it permitted you to inform yourself and buy hay before she gets malocclusion which is non-reversible (rabbit's teeth grow constantly and hay / grass is the only thing that can wear them off - if the rabbit doesn't eat hay, the teeth will grow until your rabbit won't be able to eat anymore, then you'll have to get the teeth cut under anesthesia every 6 weeks or your rabbit will die).

Wow thank you guys for all the information! She hasn't been eating the hay as enthusiastically as she eats other foods but she's eating it :) & I will hold off the visit to the vet for another day to see if she gets better since she's acting completely normal and the watery poop is minimal.

I attached two pictures of my baby Evie

20160718_204228.jpg

20160718_152218.jpg

...Your rabbit has to eat his own body mass in hay everyday of her life or she is going to have gut and teeth problems and it will lead to serious health issues or even death....In a way, your rabbit's problem was a good thing if it permitted you to inform yourself and buy hay before she gets malocclusion which is non-reversible (rabbit's teeth grow constantly and hay / grass is the only thing that can wear them off - if the rabbit doesn't eat hay, the teeth will grow until your rabbit won't be able to eat anymore, then you'll have to get the teeth cut under anesthesia every 6 weeks or your rabbit will die).

Aki, could you let me know which website(s) say that rabbits must eat their body mass in hay every day or they will have serious health issues/death? Just curious.

Just as a side, not eating hay does not cause malocclusion...it might lead to overgrown teeth eventually, but not malocclusion. That's caused by either genetics or injury to the mouth/teeth.

Actually, there are quite a few places that suggest that you feed a blob of hay the size of the rabbit. I don't know that it causes serious health issues, or death, but it is advisable for happy healthy gut function. :) I'm sure it's on the House Rabbit Society's website. :)

Latest posts

Back