Overweight Holland Lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catharrell

Reaction score
Hello -
I just adopted a 3-4 year old holland lop. After doing some research he shouldn't weigh more than four pounds. Well the poor guy weighed in around 6.3 pounds. So what kind of diet can I put him on? He doesn't like moving around. Attached are two pictures. Please help, I'd like him to have a long healthy life.

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4208.JPG

Last edited:
He does look a little chubby- but it's hard to tell without touching him. Feel his back. You should be able to feel his spine a little, but not a lot.

The best diet is to put him on is hay. Any kind is great EXCEPT alfalfa hay. Rabbits do not need pellets (mine usually get a few as a treat). Once he is a healthy weight, you should add in a few fresh greens (e.g. parsley, mustard greens, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Do you know what he was eating until now? It's best to avoid changing a rabbit's diet too abruptly especially if the rabbit has just changed home, which is bound to stress him out a bit. For losing weight, a diet based on hay (timothy is good, if he eats it) and leafy greens is ideal. Leafy greens are not fattening and provide hydratation as well as vitamins. It's best to avoid root vegetables (especially carrots and parsnip), pellets and fruits.
But you need to know if the rabbit is used to greens. If not, you will have to get him used to them one at a time and progressively to avoid any upset stomach.

http://rabbit.org/overweight-and-underweight-rabbits/

Just a note - pellets do provide all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs, so if you choose to wean him off them completely make sure you do your homework and give him the variety of greens/veggies he needs to replace the nutrients he'll lose from no pellets.

Is he playing? When he's active he will lose some weight next to the good
advice that has been given. Thumbs up ! :)

Latest posts

Back