Selecting a show rabbit... judge this pair?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandLopper

Reaction score
Hi - considering buying an offspring from this pair below. Please judge/rate the dam and sire - curious as to the potential for a good offspring for show. What color/type would they likely produce? Do you see any serious faults? Thanks.

Dam
1 year old broken black tort
4219843_orig.jpeg

Sire
2 year old chocolate tort
6430385_orig.jpeg

These are Holland Lops and they come from a registered ARBA rabbitry and the offspring are pedigreed.

Based on the pictures provided, and the fact that the breeder is already offering kits for sale before they are even born, my guess is that this isn't the best resource for a show rabbit.

Serious exhibitors select rabbits to sell after they are born, several months matured, and the breeder can better evaluate their type based on the breed standard.

I agree. There are very few breeders I would buy a youngster from before they are born. It would have to be from a pair that has already had nice offspring from previous markings with each other, and even then I would want the option of refusal at delivery. That being said, some breeds can't be properly evaluated until they're several months old, and I think Hollands are one of those.

Hi all thanks for the feedback. There was one kit (sable point) born from this pair. See below. The breeder wasn't selling kits before they were born. She was taking reservations after they were 2 weeks old.

dsc-0230_1.jpg

dsc-0259.jpg

Does the breeder show her bunnies? How have these two performed on the table? If you're looking for a show rabbit, approach breeders at shows or look up breeders that have been performing well at shows in your area and speak to them about what you're looking for.

Hard to tell anything from the parent photos posted above other than they are cute.

In Hollands I believe it's the same as most other breeds. Even though the parents are nice you can hope that the baby will be nice quality as well but you will not know until the baby matures. As long as the baby is free from disqualifications then it can be shown. But you will need to learn about faults and points in the breed that will allow that baby to place high on the tables. most of the time the first rabbit you get to show is a learning process.

You should go to a show and check things out your best bet might be to buy a junior or young senior at a show?
I suggest you pay close attention to the ladies who have posted replies here.
Oakridge, majorv, and whoahlook all have many years of experience breeding and showing various breeds of rabbits.

Latest posts

Back