Rabbits being aggressive through cage bars

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
Hiya so Erin here again anyways, I have another problem which I could really use some Imput on okey so I have Iris she is my all black mini Rex who I adore and love and so of course I want the very best for her, anyway my girlfriend had to move out of her place and now she has to stay at a temporary house which doesn't allow pets which means her rabbit Winnie and Guinea pig Dizzy have no place to go so I said I'd look after them for her until the fall then she can move into a place which dose allow animals.
Anyway due to dogs and cats and limited space I have to keep Winnie who lives with Dizzy btw in my room which means she has to be near Iris, Iris is a free range rabbit, she runs around my room without ever being put in a cage anyways Winnie and Iris are not going at eachother through the Xpen bars, it's not consent but they do keep going back no blood just jumping at the bars, teeth and scratching, anyways I'm just wondering do you think they be okey or should I try and put Winnie in another room, Winnie can't get out the xpen is like 7 feet tall so it's only through the bars, neither rabbit is spayed and I know this is most likey part of the problem but I'm out of work currently and I plan on spaying Iris when I get a job which should be soon, anyway just want to hear your guys thoughts, thank you.

It couldn't hurt to put one of the rabbits in another room, or try to make more of a barrier between them (other than just the bars). Good luck!

I'm not sure why it really matters to your girlfriend so much about having the bunnies in a place that does not allow pets. Here it is illegal to say something like that for a rental property, people do it anyways because they "don't want their house or apartment ruined" even tho many animals don't ruin things. But even the ones that say that, so many people have pets in those places! I mean a dog would be hard to hide because they have to go outside but a bunny is most of the time a caged animal and doesn't necessarily have to go outdoors. They need run around time but that can be inside. Also landlords have to give you at least 24h notice before they enter the premises, which during that time they could be easily transported to your house. I currently live in a house where I am allowed to have pets, because I was tired of hiding them. But I have lived in places before that didn't allow them and never had any problems.

Last edited:
There should be a landlord an tenant board of some sort where you can call and ask if it is illegal to discriminate against people who have pets.

Or I could just have them until the fall when she is moving into an animal friendly house at which time she will take them back.

I definitely prefer not risking being evicted for my pets. For me- even if the landlords are not at all likely to find the animals, the stress it would put my animals through if someone reported something just never seemed worth it for me.

This situation is stressful for both rabbits. I would definitely try to move the newcomers to a different location (room?). If kept the way they are now there are two possibe scenarios (as I see it).

In one scenario, the two rabbits begin to get along and they come close to bonding. Then they are separated when your friend takes hers back. Not good for buns.

Scenario two: They continue to not get along and remain stressed the entire time. Not good for either rabbit.

If there's a way to put the newbies in another room, that'd be best. If not, then at least try to keep the newbies more separate by blocking visually and putting more space between them.

Okey I'l try blocking because my mom refuses to let me put them in Another room

As a former landlord, I'm sorry. I used to rent my basement out to two college girls. I have my own house that I purchased with my own money, and if I don't want huge dog turds in my backyard, that should be my call. However, they had a dog for a "week" (that quickly became 3 weeks) that couldn't control her bladder, and she used the bathroom throughout my basement. She was supposedly kennel trained, but the girls let her roam the basement when they weren't at home. I cleared out my garage for their dog, and they refused to take advantage of my generosity and inconvenience. They tried to blame the "dog bombs" on a little, 15 pound stray, when they had a yellow lab. Sorry, but it is not possible for a mini dog to drop bombs bigger than he is.

And if you're renting from someone, PLEASE PLEASE ask them before you go around digging up their yard. The girls decided they wanted a garden, and even after 2 years since they left, I still can't get grass to grow in that area of the yard. I refuse to rent out the basement to anyone due to that experience with those wretched girls... don't be that person.

About the rabbit thing, I agree with blueeyes. If you can't separate which would be the best solution, at least try to make it so the rabbits don't see each other too much...

About the whole forbidding rabbits situation - it doesn't make much sense to me, especially for rabbits. Akzholedent, your situation was very specific: most people don't live with their landlords. Besides, if you rent a part of your place you relinquish your 'owner prerogatives' on part of your property and take the risk to be inconvenienced by your tenant, in exchange for your tenant's own money. As we say in France, you can't have the butter and the butter's money... Over here, landlords can't forbid you to do / get anything which is normal to me as you pay for the place so, as long as you rent it it's YOUR house. When the contract end, it's up to you to find a way to return the property in a state similar to when you got it. If you can't, well, it's what the deposit check is here for. I honestly couldn't stand someone I barely know telling me I can't have animals in my own place... (and the whole thing really isn't rational - I mean, your landlord can forbid you from getting a hamster but what about children? They draw on walls and break a lot more things than rabbits, but you can't forbid people from having them, can you?)

Back