Neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingsofSound

Reaction score
So, I've had my rabbit for about 6ish years now. He's roughly around 7, since I got him when he was around a year old.
He's never had a problem in terms of humping. Until this month, he started trying to hump my arms only. Which wasn't a huge issue since my arms weren't really on the ground enough for him to hump. Now he's going after my legs. Should I mention that it's really only me he's after? He doesn't go after my boyfriend who he generally likes more. He doesn't hump anything else... just me.
I would consider getting him neutered, but at 7 years old would it be okay? I know around that age can be considered rather old for a rabbit.

If you find a veterinarian with a lot of rabbit experience, neutering a seven year old shouldn't be too much of a problem. The procedure is much less invasive than spaying a female and the recovery period is very short.

At his age this sudden change of behavior is more likely to be related to a health problem. Pain or discomfort from an underlying health condition can cause a rabbit to act out in unexpected and unusual ways. It could be something as simple as dental issues causing the discomfort. Unfortunately though, adrenal problems and/or tumors would be a more likely cause of sudden excessive hormonal behavior, especially in an older rabbit that never previously displayed this type of behavior. I would suggest a thorough check up with a rabbit savvy vet, including blood work and xrays if nothing definitive is found in the normal physical and dental exam.

Latest posts

Back