Mirror Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnoccibun

Reaction score
Hi there,

My bun has started licking and scratching the floor length mirror in my room, as well as my glass shower door. Could she think it's another rabbit? Sign of boredom or loneliness?

Thanks

We have a bunny who has two ceramic type of tiles in his cage (one on each end) and occasionally he licks them, or he licks his litter box. I'm not sure why he does it, but as long as there are no cleaning chemicals on them, it can't hurt. I've read about other rabbits licking random stuff. No rhyme or reason. Does your bun lick the shower door when there's water on it? Is there any moisture on the mirror? I'm just wondering if maybe there is something tasty on the mirror and door?

My male will come out into the living room daily and lick along our sliding glass door. There is literally a line of bunny slobber at his head height on it! But he also licks literally everything (he learned that chewing things isn't allowed very quickly, and replaced it with licking). So I think it's my guy's way of exploring without breaking the rules.

Thanks for your replies! She is actually scratching the mirror more than she licks it. I swear she thinks it's a bunny friend! The licking looks like she is attempting to groom this mysterious new bunny reflection. When she licked the shower, it was when her reflection was showing. It's a real puzzler!

Rabbits can't see what's in front on their face (they only can see what's facing their eyes so from their profile and high above their head as it allows them to see birds of prey coming). I seriously doubt a rabbit could see his reflection in a mirror much less identify it as a rabbit. But rabbits like to scratch and lick things (I had a rabbit once who liked to lick the floor and a stool, he seemed to like the taste of the wood). Glass and mirrors are cool, so maybe he just likes to lick it and scratches it because the strange material intrigues him.

Hi there,

My bun has started licking and scratching the floor length mirror in my room, as well as my glass shower door. Could she think it's another rabbit? Sign of boredom or loneliness?

Thanks
Some rabbits attack their reflection, some flee, and others stare as though hypnotized. Rabbits cannot identify their own reflection. A rabbit with a mirror will assume that another rabbit is in her hutch.

Back