Training out the window!! Super frustrated!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyAndMoonlight

Reaction score
My rabbits have always been really well litter trained. I rarely had to do more than empty the litter box, to keep the cage clean. Once we got a new cage, I was worried that there would be accidents, and would have to retrain them, but they kept on using the box (I just tried to enforce it more and reward them for using it in the new cage, to say that even though you moved, you still go in this spot). But now, Missy started going right beside the litter box! I've tried a bazillion things, but she will only go in this one spot, when I know she knows how to use the litter box.

Moon seems to be doing ok, but I think she's starting to follow Missy's lead and going more outside than inside in box. I've tried to move it over where Missy has been going, but she moves it somewhere else.

The top level of their cage seems to always be a disaster, resulting in me having to completely clean it out nearly every day. I'm willing to work hard for them, but I can't be constantly cleaning up after them. As a result of this, my back porch smells, and I'm worried about getting flies in this hot weather. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! 😬

Are they fixed? Are you cleaning the box out every day? My girl will only go in the box if it's clean. I never fully scrub it out, but empty it out completely, so she can smell her scent but I can't. Also once rabbits hit puberty they will go everywhere until fixed.

Are they having any difficulties getting in and out of the litter box? Could the one bun have a bladder infection or something like that? One of our bunnies started peeing just outside his litter box, and we found out that he had sludge in his bladder and an infection. We also found out he has arthritis. After we treated the infection, and put him on daily pain meds, it was resolved.

Are they having any difficulties getting in and out of the litter box? Could the one bun have a bladder infection or something like that? One of our bunnies started peeing just outside his litter box, and we found out that he had sludge in his bladder and an infection. We also found out he has arthritis. After we treated the infection, and put him on daily pain meds, it was resolved.

Neither of them have ever had any problems getting in or out of the litter box. I'll try a few other things, and if they still don't use it, I'll get them checked out. One thing that makes me think that it's not a bladder infection is that they still go in the same spot all the time, not all over the cage. For instance, Missy hops up on a ledge beside the litter box, and always goes there.

Is the litter box big enough for both of them to be inside it with plenty of room to spare for hay and moving about? Does she seem to be having any trouble jumping? If she's feeling sore for one reason or another, it's possible that she doesn't want to jump into the box so goes right next to it. What about her feet? If you're using a hard litter such as wood pellets, if she has a sore foot she may not want to stand on them.

If you've ruled out everything else (like the other said: infection, sore hocks, small litterbox, change of litter, mobility problems, some change in their environment that might displease them...) my money would still be on hormones as it's never too late for rabbits to become little pigs because of it. Sometimes a rabbit will show no signs of sexual maturity and suddenly one day... I've met once a rabbit who started humping when he was around 10 years old. If that's the case, it probably won't get better on its own. I would give spaying a try, especially since 3 is the age when cancers begin to appear.

Ok. I will think about all of that. I do not believe that it is sore hocks, but I'll make sure to look over their feet more carefully. Getting into and out of the litter box is definitely not an issue. I've made another litter box where Missy had been going, so I will see how that goes. Unfortunately, she had the tendency to relocate the litter box to the bottom floor, and continue to go in her spot. I'll try to train her into using it again, but if all else fails, all get her checked out and/or spayed.

Latest posts

Back