Inside Flooring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mneiman1

Reaction score
What do you guys use for flooring? I have two dog crates which I use as a home. They have a hard plastic on the floor. I have put bedding throughout the two crates and in his litter box. Which I thought was fine but online I see a lot of people dont have any bedding. They either have some sort of laminated flooring or fleece blanket.

Just want to make sure using the bedding for the floor is fine?

Sorry,

I don't mean bedding we humans use I mean bedding you typically see gerbils and hamsters in. I think the stuff I have is this which I think is a natural wood fibers.

You can use it if you want, but most of us with litter box trained rabbits don't use it as it's not necessary, is just more mess and expense, and when litter training the rabbit it can confuse them where the right place is to pee. Usually bedding/litter is just used in the litter box and the rest of the flooring can be either a smooth surface or you can put fleece down(or some other rabbit safe floor covering), though many rabbits may dig the fleece out of the way as they often like to lay on smooth surfaces, especially when they want to cool down. Then there are some rabbits that don't like smooth slippery flooring so you would need to use fleece or some other rabbit safe flooring for traction if that were the case with your bun.

Working out the best set up for each particular rabbit is a lot of trial and error. I've tried many different flooring and litter box set ups before I found the right fit for each of my rabbits.

It's okay to use bedding. Shavings, CareFresh, etc are just messier, more expensive, and harder to clean than blankets, sheets, or flooring. House rabbits (once litter trained) are pretty clean animals and shavings aren't necessary. Depending on what it is, sometimes the dust from it can irritate their respiratory systems.

I use either fleece or canvas as flooring in my x-pens and use chip clips to secure the edges on the outside of the pen to keep it from shifting.

We just have newspaper over vinyl for one floor of their cages; the top two floors have carpet which we wash once/month. Their litter boxes have paper litter.

The vinyl with newspaper is SUPER easy to clean- so that's where their in-cage litter boxes, water bowls, hay, and food bowls are. We clean that level every other day.

Their toys and such are up on the carpeted floors. The risk with this set up is that they may ingest the carpet, but since my two are allowed to roam the apartment a good portion of the day, they know not to chew carpet anyways. But they love to roll and sleep on it.

Latest posts

Back