Fur pulling and nest building

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
Hiya so my rabbit Mable who is not spayed is pulling out her hair and using it and other materials to build a nest and I realize that rabbits who are not spayed will do this and I know it's known as a fake pregnancy but im just wondering what can I do for her, I plan to get her spayed soon I just need the money to do it, is there anything I should do for her during this time, she around 9 months old. Any info would be greatly apricated.

You can't really do anything. It will pass... until she does it again. As long as she doesn't produce milk (which can lead to mastitis and other problems - you can give her some parsley during the phantom pregnancy to try and prevent it) it's not dangerous as long as you spay her in a timely manner. Just make sure she doesn't swallow the hair she carries in her mouth or you might find yourself with a case of stasis / blockage in your hand.
It's recommanded to spay before 1 year old to give the rabbit the best chances of recovery, it's still leave you with some time and if it's one or two months after that it won't be the end of the world either...

Well I'm hopefully getting ajob on Sunday so if so I'll get her and my other bunny spayed as well

Not usually...normally they'll just pull hair from their belly, although we've had a couple who also pulled some from their sides. It looked a little splotchy but not naked. Sounds a bit excessive to me, but a picture of her might help.

Okey I'll try and put up a picture, her legs, her belly even her tail is pretty much all gone, what else could it be its not a parasite is there something else it could be tho?

Try to post a picture. If she nested you could take a picture of that also. It may be she went overboard and just pulled a lot.

As you can see in the pics above she has pulled a lot of hair out, did she just go crazy and pull to much cause she's acting normal, eating, drinking,, trying to get out of her cage ect.

Okey so you think she just went overboard and that its part of her hormones?

From what I can see, yes...as long as she isn't scratching or getting flaky skin, that would indicate another reason for it. Give it a couple of days and then take out the fur. It should pass.

Okey thank you, yeah she doesn't have flaky skin and she isn't scratching at all and she's done pulling out the fur.

Latest posts

Back