Bonding New and Old?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
I currently have a 2-3yr. old mini rex male (neutered) and my mom just got me a 9wk. old lion head female (i think). My 2yr old has been alone since my other female died last year (they just started bonding when she died so they werent very close). The new one was kept in an female colony (one male) so there were close to 20 rabbits all together at all times.
So i just wanted some thoughts on the best way i should start bonding, when i should start. I do plan on getting the new one spayed, but don't i have to wait till shes 4 months old right?

It really depends on your rabbit's weight and on the skill of your vet. Some vets also prefer to minimize the risk and refuse to spay a doe that's not almost fully grown (7-8 months). The best you can do is let her settle down a bit (anyway for now, you need to quarantine her to make sure she doesn't carry any illness or anything potentially problematic - she probably also has a different food regimen than the other rabbit, considering that you're still introducing veggies and that she can eat richer pellets in bigger quantities than an adult), and then take her to a good vet. The vet will be able to tell you when you can get her spayed (I really wouldn't spay a 3 month old as it's a big operation, but that's just my personnal point of view).Of course, you'll have to keep the female alone for a few weeks after the operation to let her heal before introducing her to a male.

Thanks, im so used to getting older rabbits this baby thing is someways new (ive had babies before but didnt have all this extra stuff to worry about)

Latest posts

Back