Dog bite

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhucky

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago, Lhucky has been playing with a dog who accidentally bit her. Although not hard to have a bite mark, but enough to make her bleed a little. I thought it was just a minor cut. Nothing very serious. but Friday, while I was playing with Lhucky, I found that she had an abscess at the same spot where she bleed. we took her to the vet and her good vet drain the abscess, gave her saline with enro for cleaning her wound, put a few stiches so that it won't close so fast that we can flush more pus out if ever abscess occur. she's also given enro for oral 0.85 cc 2x a day for 1 week. Meloxicam 0.1 cc for 3 days.

But I've searched online for other solutions. and found that Bicillin shot were more potent when it comes to abscesses.

Hhmmm. . . My concerns were, hopefully enro will be enough for Lhucky to be free from abscess. because right now, I've been dealing with my mom who just recently had a stroke. nothing serious damaged had happened, thank God! Although, major diet changes needs to be watched out. As I cannot handle more problems right now. 😢

I would continue with your vets suggestions for now and if that doesnt clear things up then bicillin/peng or whatever else thats stronger may do the trick.

But hopefully Jenny or another med expert can pop by and give advice.

Exactly my plan.

Today is pretty good. Lhucky's eating critical care. she just doesn't want to take her meds, not even want to take pro biotic! We need to hold her down to feed her meds. But at least she has her appetite. her abscess looks like it's getting bigger again. later with the help of my husband, we'll try to do flushing.

This is how Lhucky's being forced feed. we cleaned her wound, no abscess today 😄😄😄

It sounds like you are past the worst of it already, but in addition to the current treatment, you could add on an advanced topical should you have further issues. These advanced products have several big advantages over older products, the most relevant here are the ability to assist the body in removing necrotic tissue (AKA the ridiculously unnecessarily long technical term of autolytic debridement) and maintaining the proper conditions of the wound base to generate healthy tissue growth to repair damage. Quite a few medical professionals are not aware such products exist, and how combining them with oral antibiotics can make a huge difference...and that is in regard to medicine for people, especially in regards to second degree burn treatments. :-/

Is it really possible that 1 time drainage of pus is enough? That abscess wouldn't come back anymore? 2nd day of cleaning her wound is closing up already. my husband said he doesn't see any pus anymore and that what remains were blood clot that which he doesn't want to forced out already. and Lhucky struggling while being given antibiotic. She's like human that's saying I don't need meds anymore.

We plan to take her back to vet after finishing her antibiotic. and see what her Dr would say. But I'm hoping high hopes that 1 time drainage really is possible.

The attached photo happened Only this Tuesday. The lovely dog happened to be the 1 who gave her abscess 😧

View attachment 1464263193304.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds about right to me. Butterscotch had a mini abscess (or a pimple) under his chin from scratching his chin on chicken wire, and after one drainage of it, and putting an antibiotic on it, he was fine. That was a year ago, and I do keep checking to make sure it doesn't return, and he's been fine so far. :) Lhucky, you're a very lucky rabbit. <3

Yey! it's soo nice to hear about your experience. . . Although, it's still too early for us to celebrate as we're only on our 3rd day. her wound is closing up already. Still a little bit sore, but so far still abscess free. I was already wondering if drainage must be bloody, but we just couldn't get our selves to let Lhucky bleed again. . . Thank you &#128516;

Good news! Lhucky is abscess free already. whew! She also gained weight. she's now 1.20 kg from 1.15kg last week. but her sutures still needs 1 more week to remove because her vet have shooting today. The in house vet adviced us to put antibiotic terramycin on the sutures for a week 2x a day.

View attachment 1464692945915.jpg

Latest posts

Back