rescued bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swwblackhawk

Reaction score
Greetings I've just recently got into raising rabbits. Now today was an interesting day. I ended up with 4 baby wild rabbits due to a dog attack. I happened to have a momma rabbit that was just finished with her litter and hadn't gone dry yet. So I put them in with her and she is nursing them. My question is when they get bigger does anyone know if they will be able to breed with my domestic mix breeds

tmp_31929-20160503_000053-1046856301.jpg

tmp_31929-20160503_000151-1603515318.jpg

tmp_31929-20160503_000204-202560284.jpg

tmp_31929-20160503_0001051945703680.jpg

Oh what cuties they are, so glad that you had a mommy who could look after them, as for your breeding question I am not sure I don't know why a wild rabbit and a domestic rabbit couldent breed but I'm not an expert on rabbit breeding maybe one of the other more experienced people will answer your question in the mean time good luck.

No. Our American wild rabbits (cottontails) have 21 pair of chromosomes. European hares (different from rabbits) have 24 pairs of chromosomes and the domestic rabbit has 22 pair. Mating is technically possible but no viable embryo will result because of the differences in the chromosome pairs.

You need to contact a wildlife rehabber asap.

What youve done is not only illegal but extremly dangerous for the health of your own rabbit and those babies.

Those buns are also big enough to be eating on their own. You need to hand them over to somebody who can look after them properly and release them.

You should not be wanting to breed them anyway. There are plenty enough pet rabbits in rescues. If youre not breeding to better a breed then please dont breed at all.

DO NOT LET MOTHER RABBIT NEAR YOUR OTHER RABBITS UNTIL A QUARANTINE PERIOD HAS EXPIRED.

You are going to need to get the mother rabbit checked out and isolate her from your other rabbits. While cottontail rabbits cannot breed with european rabbits, rabbit diseases can cross over from one to another. You may very well need to give the mother rabbit a course of widespectrum antibiotics and a widespectrum antiparasitic.

If you have already let mother rabbit near your other rabbits, a prophylactic treatment might be needed for all of your rabbits.

It is also worth noting that, because the gut flora of european and cottontail rabbits are almost certainly not the same, the milk and cecetropes provided by the mother may not provided what it needed to seed the intestine.

Finally, if you have any dogs, you may want to keep a close watch on them too. Wild rabbits can carry parasites in their poop that, if eaten by a dog, can infect the dog and cause serious illness.

Last edited:
Why in the world would you even want to bred wild and domestic rabbits?

Latest posts

Back