Recovery after parasite illness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockysMa

Reaction score
Good day,

I have a 14 week Holland Lop named Rocky. I took him to the emergency vet yesterday morning, and the doctor said he likely has an intestinal parasite, she said it is likely coccidiosis however a smear of the fecal matter did not confirm the type. She gave him a prescription for Sulfatrim and some critical care.

He has had 3 doses so far of the sulfatrim, and I am wondering for anyone that has had rabbits that have gotten parasites...how long until you noticed they were starting to respond to the antibiotics and show signs of getting better?

Thank you

Lots of hay and water also is supposed to help. I never knew exactly what was wrong with my rabbit but I gave a sulpha med for diarrhea and he was lot better after 24 hours. One bit of advice i have is make sure your bunny is drinking water and if you think he is not- go ahead and syringe electrolytes. With gut problems the worst thing that can happen is dehydration.

Back