Weighing out cage vs. xpen vs. bunny room?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubbz117

Reaction score
GkbbTuv.jpg

I haven't given Sweet Pea any kind of intro on here just yet. I'm going to try to be a little more active here on RO. I've only had her since right before Thanksgiving, and while we're insanely comfy with one another I'm trying to give her as close to what I think she may've had before being surrendered to SPCA where I adopted her from. She's still young; she'll be two in October.

The overall set-up we have for her right now is a little funky. Her 'room' (a fairly huge Oxbow cage) is at the top of our stairs in the landing. There really isn't much room for her to free roam up there due to the layout of our second floor. So we typically bring her downstairs to our kitchen/dining area. She has no problem running about on non-carpet flooring. If anything, the new flooring/tile in that area is better than the hardwood flooring we originally had there.

WUINUXC.jpg

Truth be told, her original room feels like it was half the size of this one. She's had this room for about two months now, and appears to be incredibly content with it... But this is with us still bringing her down to run around as often as possible, for as long as possible. She'll lay out when she wants to be picked up and snuggled, and once we get to the stairs, put her down and she'll hop all the way up the stairs and into her room.

I don't want this to be a permanent set-up. I've seen tons about bunny rooms and tons about xpen setups. As much as I would love to do an xpen set-up, right now, the only viable option would be in my room-- and wouldn't allow for much room. Not to mention, I don't see a solid way to fully bunny proof my room for her. Between my laptops, game systems and such-- she's insanely curious compared to my previous two buns.

We have a potential spare room in my house, but I am not the homeowner and still live under my parents' roof. I would love to give Sweet Pea the amount of free roaming capability I feel like she had in her previous home before her surrender to the SPCA.

How does one go about choosing between an xpen set-up as opposed to full-on bunny room? Furthermore, does one typically start out with cage/xpen and gradually expand the allowed space into the full room over time?

Is it if you can go the route of giving a room to the bun/bunnies, then go for it? And if you only really have space for an xpen option, then you go for an xpen? But an xpen is the first step to giving a bunny a room?

Sweet Pea is my own bun right now, and it may be like that for a long time/always.... And I want to do better than I have in the past... And I can do a lot more to improve where I lacked in the past, as well as just overall spoil her like the princess she is. She's an outrageously well behaved bun, and incredibly intelligent.... So I don't want to do any less than what she deserves.

Latest posts

Back