Litterbox training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aabernathy319

Reaction score
I'm getting a baby mini Rex in about 3 weeks an I am hoping to litter box train it. How do you litter box train and how long will it take? Thanks any info helps :eats::runningrabbit:

Litterbox Training a rabbit can be very easy as long as you do it the right way. This is just a way that I've always done it, but there are many different way to litterbox train them.
Start out by having a small litter box, not to big to where they can lay down in it (because that all they will do and will dig out the litter) and not to small, about 1 inch space between the rabbit and the wall of the litter box.
Get some bedding for inside, whichever you prefer.
Pay attention to your rabbit in the cage, see where he most likely to pee and poop as most rabbit prefer one area.
Place the litterbox right on top of that area.
First your rabbit may not use it or it will right away. If he doesn't scoop up the droppings that he does outside the litterbox and place them in the bedding, that way he will figure out where to go. Continue this for a while.
Hope it all goes well :)

Quite honestly, some rabbits will just use a litter box. Now it depends if it will have the run of the house, or if the rabbits will mostly be in a cage. When litter training your bunny, always reward them when you see them on the litter box, whether or not they're actually using it. If your rabbit poops anywhere else in their cage, move the poop into the litter box, instead of just cleaning it up. This shows them that THIS is where in supposed to go to the bathroom. Then, clean up the area where there went really well. Another thing you can do is, whenever you see your rabbits assume the position that generally means- I'm about to go- move them onto the litter box.

Time wise, it really depends on the rabbit. If you are consistent in your training, it shouldn't take that long. My rabbits got it in a few weeks. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back