When should nail trimming be done?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
(Not Sure if this is the right place for this thread..?)
Andy is 4 -5 months old , when should his nails be trimmed ? I was thinking when they show through the fur? You can see the tip through the fur, I have trimmed bunny nails before, but he doesn't listen the way I do it, does a anyone have any ideas on how to hold him when trimming his nails? (Also, his nails are thin, I guess cause he's still young)

I would start as young as possible to get him used to it and make things easier for you!
My rabbits cooperate most outside of their usual area. They're just nervous enough that they'll willingly sit still and let me do it. I prefer to let the rabbit sit upright and just pull one leg at a time out from under them. Some people have more luck with the rabbits bundled in a towel and/or on their backs.

I just did it! I took your advice missyscove and brought him to an unfamiliar area and did it there. He did pretty good! I tried to trim his declawing (I think that's what you call it) but every time I went even too the very tip he flinched ( I guess it wasn't ready) then I brushed him ( I hadn't brushed him for a while)
If course, he hated me after trimming his nails :rollseyes! lol but he actually is a very 'forgiving' rabbit, if I do something he doesn't like he gets mad and hops away, but 2 mins later he's back to licking me!
Thank you for the replies!

ASAP. Some people prefer to wrap the bunny into a towel to make a 'bunny burrito' so that, if they struggle, they do not hurt you or themselves. In some cases, rabbits may be OK with you grabbing a foot and trimming, where as others may find the experience terrifying. While not ideal, if you get a ton of struggling you could put the rabbit into tonic immobility, but be aware that this should not be for any long period of time. While doing that can cause stress, it's still less stress then taking a rabbit to a vet to get the nails trimmed.

I'm not sure if this is helpful for you, but I started trimming nails with those bunny trimmers that are tiny, and quickly realized that they are not sharp and can easily crush or fracture a nail. This happened early with my last rabbit, splitting a nail down the middle length-wise and for almost a decade she hated getting nails trimmed. I assume it is due to that experience.

With my current rabbit, I started trimming her nails with trimmers that have an extremely sharp blade, and with a little more experience on making a fast, clean cut. I also file her nails so there is no burr left that can snag on carpet or scratch my skin. As this doesnt cause her pain, she does not equate trimming nails with something unpleasant, so it is much easier to trim her nails than my last rabbit.

ASAP. Some people prefer to wrap the bunny into a towel to make a 'bunny burrito' so that, if they struggle, they do not hurt you or themselves. In some cases, rabbits may be OK with you grabbing a foot and trimming, where as others may find the experience terrifying. While not ideal, if you get a ton of struggling you could put the rabbit into tonic immobility, but be aware that this should not be for any long period of time. While doing that can cause stress, it's still less stress then taking a rabbit to a vet to get the nails trimmed.

I'm not sure if this is helpful for you, but I started trimming nails with those bunny trimmers that are tiny, and quickly realized that they are not sharp and can easily crush or fracture a nail. This happened early with my last rabbit, splitting a nail down the middle length-wise and for almost a decade she hated getting nails trimmed. I assume it is due to that experience.

With my current rabbit, I started trimming her nails with trimmers that have an extremely sharp blade, and with a little more experience on making a fast, clean cut. I also file her nails so there is no burr left that can snag on carpet or scratch my skin. As this doesnt cause her pain, she does not equate trimming nails with something unpleasant, so it is much easier to trim her nails than my last rabbit.

i got the nail trimmers a while ago, i remember they weren't for rabbits specifically, but i just did them they worked great thanks! how do you fille her nails? (with a regular file?)

I just did it! I took your advice missyscove and brought him to an unfamiliar area and did it there. He did pretty good! I tried to trim his declawing (I think that's what you call it) but every time I went even too the very tip he flinched ( I guess it wasn't ready) then I brushed him ( I hadn't brushed him for a while)
If course, he hated me after trimming his nails :rollseyes! lol but he actually is a very 'forgiving' rabbit, if I do something he doesn't like he gets mad and hops away, but 2 mins later he's back to licking me!
Thank you for the replies!

I'm so glad to hear it worked for you! As with any pet, the more often you handle their feet without them dying, the more convinced they'll be that you're not trying to kill them.
And, they're "dewclaws."

I'm so glad to hear it worked for you! As with any pet, the more often you handle their feet without them dying, the more convinced they'll be that you're not trying to kill them.
And, they're "dewclaws."
yeah, everytime i pet hime i try to get him used to me touching his paws:)

How far back can you cut their nails? This will be the first time I have cut my bunnies nails and don't want too get it wrong! Is there a cuticle indicator like we have?

Much like dogs and cats, they have a 'quick' and so they will bleed (and it can be quite painful) if you cut too deep. That being said, learning to trim an animals nails almost always ends up with one 'quicked' nail. If the nails are clear, you can see it, which makes it easier. But if you have dark colored nails, it can be much harder. With a patient bunny, you can trim tiny amounts of at a time and look at the nail you just trimmed- if there is a little black dot in the center, you are close but not too close to the quick. Another way to tell with a calmer bunny is that it is sensitive before it is actually painful. So if you are about to cut too much off, they squirm and fight (but nail trimming feels a little weird regardless, so some rabbits will react no matter what you do).

I personally would start just little by little until you get a bit of a reaction (with some rabbits, nail trims can span days, since you may only get one paw at a time before your bunny gets impatient. A little blood is not an emergency, but corn starch can help stop the bleeding if you do cut too deep (don't worry if you do, it happened to me when I was first learning too!)

Nail trimming is best done by an animal groomer or a vet.

Some rabbits can be most stubborn so it may be easier to have a vet trim their nails. But I'd guess that most people here on RO trim their own rabbits' nails. It isn't that difficult once you get used to it (except for that rare, extra-difficult bunny).

I was watching YouTube and actually picked up a little bit of a trick to cutting nails that may work for others. I personally use smaller dog nail cutters (I have a Chihuahua so I have them and am used to them)

Anyway the video showed the woman clipping the buns nails but each time she would squeeze lightly but firm twice on the nail the 3rd time cut.

It helps a lot and It works for me cause of my limited vision. I feel much safer doing AJs nails now. I cradle him in my left arm with his front paws on my hand and his butt sitting on my left chest. I clip the nails I can the switch sides.

Latest posts

Back