Dwarf Won't Use Litter Box!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently rescued a male Dwarf who was fixed around 3 weeks ago. I have a spayed female that I've had almost 2 years. She was pretty easy to litter box train and is now in an x-pen no problems. However, my little Dwarf friend Mojo will poop/pee everywhere EXCEPT in his litter box. I know the hormones are probably a little wacky right now, but I don't remember my female doing this. What's a reasonable amount of time before they start to understand that the litter box is for peeing/pooping? He's not going in the box at ALL. I tried the towel method but he was peeing all over them and it was becoming a pain to wash :(. Thoughts, recommendations!? I honestly don't remember having a problem with my lop.

Once ours had established a "spot", we moved the litter pan to that corner and it was mostly problem solved with urination. Pooping on the other hand wasn't as they tend to go everywhere, especially if they lay down for any amount of time. Shop vac solved that one.

You've probably got a combination of two factors, his hormones, and territorial marking. He is new in your house which already smells like another rabbit, so he feels the need to mark all around his territory so that it smells like him. If there's a particular spot he's going more than others, move the tray there. Otherwise you just need to wait it out, probably a couple of weeks and I imagine both his hormones and the need for territorial marking will calm down and he'll be easier to train.

My Ellie absolutely refuses to use a litter box consistently. I've moved it wherever she tends to pee, but no, she'll just go in a different corner. Lol. She and Butterscotch were spayed and neutered in September of 2015, and Ellie just really doesn't like using her litterbox. :-/

Latest posts

Back