Missing top front teeth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitGirl321

Reaction score
Has anybody ever had a rabbit lose their front top/or bottom teeth before? I have a doe who lost her's a few months ago. NO clue how. Never saw anything out of the normal until I gave her a carrot one day and she couldn't eat it... checked and they were gone. Never have grown back any either, though I really expected them too'. Have to keep her bottom ones trimmed down. She still eats fine and all (unless it's carrots!) but it has just really bugged me. Ended her show career too! Had 2 BOV legs from her very first show, would've liked that 3rd. I figure she'll still make a good brood, don't think her kit's are going to randomly loose teeth lol! But curious if this has happened to anybody else or what maybe could've happened?

Also on a side note. I have a pet rabbit with butting teeth. I believe it's from pulling on the wire rather than a genetic thing but not 100% sure. Anyways to fix this or just stuck with it?

I don't know what happened to the one that lost top front teeth but I have heard of someones rabbit that fell and hit front teeth really hard and they shattered and came out- but they noticed blood and swelling.

With the one with butting teeth, wondering what age because I have heard it correcting on young bunny. And only other thing I can think of is feeding lots of hay- they say its abrassiveness grinds down teeth better than branches. But also feeding willow and apple branches would be good too.

Is your rabbit very high strung or does she like to chew on the wire? I've seen rabbits break or lose a front tooth from that. I saw one lose a tooth at a show when the rabbit was in a coop chewing the wire and the judge opened it without realizing it.

As far as I know there isn't much you can do with butting teeth other than trim or extract.

So sorry it took me forever to get back to here. Been so busy you wouldn't believe it! But no, the rabbit with the missing top teeth isn't a high strung rabbit and I don't hardly ever see her chew on the cage, I don't know how she could've lost her teeth without my knowing... I would think they would've bled or something, you know? Unless maybe it was overnight and by morning they stopped? No clue but it bugs me not knowing what happened!

The rabbit with butted teeth is under a year. But is a Senior now. Would have to check for exact age.

Latest posts

Back