Calculating correct amount of water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namtrab

Reaction score
I am currently nursing my bun back to health. She is being treated for E. Cuniculi. I know how much water intake she is supposed to have in a day, which of course is super-important when healing from an illness. Now, here is my situation and question...she is currently being given Critical Care. She will sporadically eat some hay on her own, but she will not touch her pellets. Also, she is not drinking on her own yet. Maybe a slight bit overnight, but not even close to enough for good health. Now, here is my question...as far as water intake, should I factor in how much water she is consuming due to mixing with Critical Care, or maybe a portion of that amount of water, or none at all? According to my calculations, she is pretty much getting the correct amount of water for the day just from how much it takes to mix up her Critical Care. Since she has not been drinking, I have also been giving her water via syringe periodically throughout the day. I'm just concerned that perhaps she is getting too much water (which may even then be contributing to her not drinking on her own).

So, should the amount of water that is used for her Critical Care be counted towards her daily water intake, should it not, or perhaps only a portion of the CC water should count? Conventional wisdom would say 'yes, it should count', but that really may not be the case. I obviously don't want her to dehydrate, but I don't want to 'flood' her, either.

Thanks a bunch!

Hello! Currently my rabbit is recovering from a stroke. While you are giving him critical care there is enough water intake - t
I did not make this up on my own while my rabbit was at the animal hospital the doctor said so. I had the same question and I told him to give my rabbit some water. The real stress starts when YOUR RABBIT will start eat On his own because it wont drink AS much and it will be much harder to give him something with a sryinge. But AS long AS he recovers it is all worth it.

in some cultures rabbits aren't given water at all, they simply are given green feed and they get the water they need from that. So extrapolating from that... if critical care has a daily supply of water in it, then that's the amount needed and it counts. :)

Back