Manuka Honey as a supplement (as a topical, it is incredibly effective...)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ts786

Reaction score
Has anyone used manuka honey as a supplement, whether short-term or long-term? If so, how much did you dose, for how long, what brands have you used, and what (if any) affects have you noticed?

I am interested because manuka honey has a pronounced antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory action. Further, *raw* honey has anti-fungal and anti-parasitic properties. Could it potentially have benefit in preventing (or complementing the traditional treatment) of e. cuniculi? What about some of the other parasite/protozoa that target bunnies?

I am already convinced that it is, by a significant margin, the best topical medication for rabbits because it is more effective than older creams (such as neomycin or bacitracin zinc), and less toxic should some of the topical be consumed (which is almost a certainty.) Unlike older generations of topicals, honey is capable of treating more serious infections, such as second degree burns and bedsores/pressure ulcers. It maintains a stable pH, is able to keep a woundbed moist without petrol additives, tends to rapidly kill the pathogens that can cause secondary infections, and has a debridement action that helps remove necrotic tissue - the outcome is that wounds treated with this honey become sterile much more rapidly, healing times are frequently much shorter, and complications are usually less. Not too long ago, the general consensus was that these claims were ludicrous. But they aren't.

Certainly the higher sugar content is a consideration given too much sugar can cause GI upsets, but raw honey has benefits that other types of sugars (including processed honey) lack, which makes the consideration of manuka honey a different one from standard refined sugars. I also assume that, in the wild, rabbits regularly eat plants that have nectar in them, so they have to have some degree of sugar tolerance. Obviously the quantity of honey would be relatively small, but the benefit still has to outweigh the risks. So could usage of manuka honey have benefit for rabbits as occasional, frequent, or continuous use as a supplement?

Also, come to think of it, supplementing with manuka honey (or another raw honey) would deliver the pollen from these plants that rabbits presumably eat in the wild, and the pollen in raw honey is generally regarded as a primary source of most benefits (hence why the refined clear honey lacks the benefits of raw honey as it has been filtered out.) There is a lot of discussion regarding how this pollen benefits the immune system in people. Could that be extended to other animals, even with digestive system differences as seen with lagomorphs?

Honey has a very high sugar content. From what little I know, in more than small quantities, high sugar intake is not good for a bunny. True, they love and can easily handle apple slices, banana slices, guava slices, mango slices, bing cherries..etc, but I don't think they should be given concentrated sugars. Sweet things..the slices mentioned above...are all digested in bunny's first stomach...the stomach that corresponds to our stomach...just like we can eat all these things..so can the bunny. But I don't think a bunny's digestive system is designed for a lot of sweet things in their first stomach. I consider their primary stomach to be the stomach at the juncture of the small intestine and the large intestine...it's the Cecum. In bunnies, the Cecum is where cellulose for green vegetables and straw, etc, is turned into glucose by symbiotic bacteria. The rabbit cannot live without these bacteria. Giving the rabbit honey does not nourish these bacteria. I've noticed that when Bunny ate to what should be satisfaction with apple, banana slices, she nevertheless started eating a lot of green leafy vegetables...I think she had an instinctive drive to eat things that would feed her symbiotic bacteria in her Cecum stomach..although she had enough in her first stomach for her..she had to eat to feed her symbiotic bacteria, also!
Human beings have a Cecum stomach also...it's called the Appendix.. In humans it's a vestigal organ...in a rabbit it's essential.

At what point though could it be said that the benefits outweigh the risks? How can we quantify this? Obviously a controlled study would be needed to make strong generalizations, but how can we say whether this is or is not worth going further?

Since we don't have a cecum in the fashion that rabbits do, how does their gut flora compare to other mammals used to generalize to people? (especially, lab rats and lab mice?)

While raw honey appears to have a beneficial effect on gut flora of humans, can it apply to rabbits due to differences in digestion?

For example, with mice and people, dietary RAW honey has been found to benefit microflora, and, to a limited extent, reduce the harmful effects of mycotoxins.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1431562/

The effect on gut flora appears to benefit the immune system as well (likely because how much of the immune system is in the colon?)
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...EILTAD#v=onepage&q=honey gut motility&f=false

With that said, it seems that mycotoxin poisoning is not nearly a big of concern with rabbits as some publications have alleged. However, benefit to gastric function could still be of gain. There is ongoing research regarding how raw honey impacts gut motility, but at least in regards in to people, it appears to be beneficial.

Controlled studies in rats has found beneficial effects in regard to gastric ulcers. Exactly how is still not understood, but it may be generalized to people or it may be a spurious relationship. However, it does indicate that sometime in the raw honey is interacting with the GI system. Further research here is needed.
http://www.kau.edu.sa/Files/320/Researches/52040_22172.pdf

I've not found anything regarding raw honey and e. cuniculi, but I am very interested if this supplementation could help reduce the probability of development in otherwise healthy rabbits...obviously saying anything here would require long term research, especially since there seems to be extensive disagreement in the medical community regarding the origins, process, and treatment of e. cuniculi.

Has any research examined the use of probiotics in rabbits? (Specifically, has any research proven that the harsh conditions in the stomach do NOT kill most or all of the live organisms BEFORE they can reach the gut?)
How much can we generalize controlled studies using mice, rats, or people to rabbits, given the differences in digestive tract?
How different is the gut flora itself in rabbits vs non lagomorphs?

Latest posts

Back