heart condition.. I don't think he will make it

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucelove06

Reaction score
Hi all. my rabbit sparky is about 7 to 9 yrs old I'm not sure of his age since he was rescued. he's having really bad gi stasis the vet gave me sub q which I've been doing myself and pain meds. however the vet thinks he may have a heart condition. while at the vet he was so nervous he had his mouth wide open breathing fast so the vet didn't want to upset more so she really couldn't look at him much. 2 days later he's not doing much better and I think I may lose him because this morning he is breathing so very fast. I'm so upset and sad thinking about losing him I rescued him and his brother from someone who was going to eat them and they are bonded. I'm so upset right now I don't want to lose him yet I'm doing all I can for him but I don't think it's enough...

he is not eating on his own I feed him hay and he eats it and I give him his water bottle and he drinks out of it and he poops a little bit .. I'm so worried about him but I had to go to work .. my sister will check on him poor boy I don't want him to suffer

Feel very sympathetic...wish I could offer definate advice. Are you seeing a rabbit vet? Cat and dog only vets are not knowledgeable. Also, what about X-rays? Is the rabbit's primary stomach blocked ...this is the stomach at the end of the esophagus and the beginning of the small intestine..is it blocked? ...what's going on with the Cecum stomach...the stomach at the juncture of the small intestine and the big intestine? Does it have content or is it empty?
Just trying to help...Sorry nothing more specific.

If your rabbit has Gastro Intestinal Statis..a common killer of rabbits, the primary stomach will be full/clogged and the Cecum will be empty..filled with gas. With the Cecum filled with gas, bunny may pass gas from the rectum with a bad smell...very unusual for a healthy rabbit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back