Not sure if doe is feeding babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiren

Reaction score
Recently, I noticed that the tummy of my three week old baby bunnies seem not to be so full, as they are not rounded as they should be. They are clearly not empty, but not full either. For different reasons I couldn't sleep tonight, so I stayed by the computer, and I heard some noises coming from the doe's nest. I went to check and the doe was hopping around the nest, with the babies following her as trying to feed from her. This went out for a couple of minutes, and it seems that she hasn't feed them yet. Is there any chance that the doe is not feeding the babies properly? Is it recommended to grab the doe and keep it in one place so the babies can feed from her?

You could, but by 3 weeks the kits should be eating hay and pellets, as well as some nursing. Do they have access to mom's pellets?

Yes, they do. They like their mum's pellets a lot. But there are times when I give the doe lettuce and they go and eat some of it. I read somewhere that they cannot eat lettuce or the like until being at least 2 months old. So whenever I catch them doing that I take the lettuce away from them and the doe. Is it true that they cannot eat lettuce until being that old? They had eaten some lettuce and they seem fine.

Yes, they do. They like their mum's pellets a lot. But there are times when I give the doe lettuce and they go and eat some of it. I read somewhere that they cannot eat lettuce or the like until being at least 2 months old. So whenever I catch them doing that I take the lettuce away from them and the doe. Is it true that they cannot eat lettuce until being that old? They had eaten some lettuce and they seem fine.

Let them eat whatever mom is eating.

I'm feeding them pellets and I'm about to buy them some hay. Thanks for all the advices.

Y. But there are times when I give the doe lettuce and they go and eat some of it. I read somewhere that they cannot eat lettuce or the like until being at least 2 months old. So whenever I catch them doing that I take the lettuce away from them and the doe. Is it true that they cannot eat lettuce until being that old? They had eaten some lettuce and they seem fine.

I'm not an expert. I've read that you shouldn't feed bunnies ice berg lettuce. Apparently, the story goes it has a component that gives them diarrehea. We do feed our bunnies romaine lettuce. They really like it and it doesn't seem to cause any gastro problems. They usually don't eat the stalks...just the green leaf parts!!

Latest posts

Back