Off food and eating cardboard and woodchips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heli

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm very worried about my bun Hopper. He loves his veg and pellets but never been a big hay eater. All of a sudden he has stopped eating his pellets. He is eating hardly any veg and no hay at all. However he is eating his cardboard platform and chew tunnel, and chewing absolutely anything ! I took him to the vet yesterday morning. She said she couldn't feel any blockages, and his teeth looked fine. He is pooing but not as much as usual. He is drinking. She said as he was eating some greens she wasn't too concerned and she gave him a jab and said to monitor him. He is lively and active but I'm just concerned as to the amount of cardboard he suddenly is eating. I've removed the cardboard platform. Also his bedding was woodshavings, I've removed that also and swapped to hay bedding because he appears to be eating the woodchips ! Hopper is an indoor bun so I know if he is doing anything out of the ordinary and even though the vet says she isn't too concerned....I am. Please advise anyone x

I think you've done the best things you can do so far. Remove the items he is ingesting. Most people here DO NOT use wood bedding in the cage, only pellets or whatever in the litter box ( a grate can be made to go overtop), and either fleece blankets or towels in the rest of the cage (however that could be a chew problem for your bun as well) I don't have anything on the bottom of my guyses cage.

You want to make sure he keeps eating his hay, that's the most important part. if he stop eating all together you will need to syringe feed to keep his tummy moving. Good that you've all ready had a vet visit.

Thank you for your reply, i feel a little better now. Have you any idea what the problem may be ?

Probably just boredom.

Does he get time out of his cage to run around?
What other items does he have to play with and chew on both in and out of the cage?

You can try and make things more exciting for him, stuff some hay in a TP roll with some hidden Craisins shoved in the middle as a surprise. Those cage balls you can shove veggies into can make getting them out a little harder and keep the rabbit busy longer. (They can be purchased at petsmart or other pet stores)
Try putting his kibble in a treat ball. So he has to throw it around to get the food out.

A little cardboard ingestion should hurt them. You do however want to make sure he eats proper amounts of his other food. ESPECIALLY hay.

Thank you for the ideas. He has has access to his run constantly, and enjoys free time out of the run morning and evening. Will try to make the hay more appealing and stimulate his interest with the raisin. ��

Just a quick update, I'm pleased to say that hopper is back to his normal mischievous self. I got some new hay ( oxbow organic) and he loves it ! He doesn't seem keen on the raisins though lol. Still not eating pellets but I'm not worried as he is finally enjoying the hay. I've also introduced a litter tray with bunny friendly litter and after reading the thread on litter training I'm proud to say we've cracked it. :wiggle.

Latest posts

Back