Baby Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiren

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

Three weeks ago, my rabbit gave birth to four lovely bunnies, and aparently she takes care of them pretty well. but during this period, there were some problems. It seems that one of the bunnies had some poop stuck in its anus which prevented it from pooping and peeing. When I realized this I cleaned it very carefully. The problem is that because of the effort the bunny made to pee and poop, its anus and genitals ended up being swollen. I took the bunny to the vet and he gave me a cream which I had to put in the area every now and then. The cream reduced the swelling a little, but the anus and the genitals are not the size they're suppose to be. Two weeks have passed and it's the same size as before. My question is if there's going to be any problem for him in the future because of this, and if it's possible that it feels some kind of pain or something like that?

My other question is related to the first one. The three brothers of this bunny are growing up really fast, while he's not (they double him in size). What's more, his brothers have really soft fur, while he hasn't. Is it possible that he's not being fed properly because of its problem? Is it normal that a bunny is growing up at a different rate than its brothers? Should I do something like made its mother feed him twice a day? Or is everything going to be fine just the way things are happening?

Thank you very much for your attention!

A kit that isn't developing at a normal rate may catch up, but it may also be that his digestive system hasn't developed enough to absorb well nutrients from what he's eating. If the latter, there isn't much you can do. At three weeks they'll be weaning soon, but you can try to get him to nurse a little extra.

First, thank you for your answer.

Second, I thought that bunnies weaned at 8 weeks old. So, if this is the case, I guess that there's a little more time for the little bunny to catch up, isn't it? Or am I wrong?

baby bunnies wean at different rates, depends on the mom, depends on the owner. Many are weaned at 5-6 weeks. Either on their own or by owners removing them from their mother.

I recently had to remove a doe from her litter because at 4 weeks of age she wasn't letting the kits out of one corner of the cage and they couldn't get to the water or feed bowl. She would tooth and claw them back into a corner. They were hungry and wanted to eat solid foods. She was still nursing them but would go to "their" corner to do so and then promptly left them so she could eat and drink etc. A bit of a nut this doe.

As to your runt... sometimes they catch up and sometimes they don't. Only time will tell. Will it probably always have gut issues... YES. Do not sell that kit into a breeding home. Sell ONLY into a pet home where you know it will STAY a pet.

Latest posts

Back