Carpet chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyrabbit12345

Reaction score
How can I stop my rabbit from digging and chewing the carpet? She is a almost 2 years old fixed mini Rex

Sighhh!

Is your bunny neutered? This is a important step. My two baby Flemmish bunnies are not neutered yet. They will be 5 months old this weekend. I can remember that I chastised people for complaining about their bunny chewing by saying you need to give the bunny something tastier to chew on than carpets, drapes, furniture, upholstery,..my comment was to solve this problem just give them something tastier to chew...like oat hay. My experience was with a rescue adult rabbit. My two Flemmish babies are something else. It appears that whatever we give them to chew, they will chew other things also. We have proliferated card board boxes on the floor under our dining room table. They just love to push the boxes around, jump in them, and eat them...the shred the cardboard boxes and eat the paper. It's been many weeks and eating cardboard paper doesn't hurt then and they seem to enjoy.

When we see a bunny trying to eat the carpet, we pull the bunny away.

We love our two Flemmish girls. At 5 months of age, they are big bunnies.

@flemishwhite - Yes, the rabbit is spayed.

Chewing and digging carpet is a difficult one. I found the best method was a loud noise, such as a clap, sudden "hssst" or stamping a foot was a good way to initially break concentration, but you then have to follow it up with a distraction. A piece of cardboard over the area. A toilet paper tube with hay in it, a phonebook to tear apart etc etc. Rabbits can get very focused on an activity and not want to let it go, and unfortunately some will always be diggers and carpet chewers. But you can certainly do all sorts to try to distract from it and you can have success :)

Latest posts

Back