My bun is very lazy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypoo

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am fostering a large (10 lb-er) Californian bun named Chipotle. He's a good-natured fellow; constantly hungry, curious, enjoys his nose rubs and ear massages. I'm enjoying my time with him.

However, lately I've had a lot of things going on in my life and regretfully, I've been unable to let him out of his 5x3 x-pen for more than a couple times a week for a couple of weeks. Before, when he got a few hours of free roam time a day, he would come outside, explore a bit, and then flop down under my desk and nap. Sometimes he would hop on my bed and walk around. I've never seen him run and I've only seen him jump a couple times when he's eager for his food. He's a large bun, so it's possible my room isn't big enough for him to run very far (even though it's a pretty big master bedroom). Recently, after not getting as much out-of-pen time, he's been even lazier. He only wanders outside if I tempt him with treats, and then pretty quickly will go back into the pen.

Aside from leaving his door open for several hours a day and leaving food around my floor, what can I do to encourage him to exercise more? I've heard a lot about buns darting out of their cages with excitement and running around, but I'm lucky if Chipotle even feels inclined to hop around slowly. He's just so lazy. Should I be concerned?

Most of our larger buns were more like furniture crossed with a tuber (couch potatos). The only large bun we had that was very active was our Checkered Giant--she was our largest, at over 19 pounds and was very active and mobile. The rest of the big ones were like sleeping fur piles.

Hi there!

I am fostering a large (10 lb-er) Californian bun named Chipotle. He's a good-natured fellow; constantly hungry, curious, enjoys his nose rubs and ear massages. I'm enjoying my time with him.

However, lately I've had a lot of things going on in my life and regretfully, I've been unable to let him out of his 5x3 x-pen for more than a couple times a week for a couple of weeks. Before, when he got a few hours of free roam time a day, he would come outside, explore a bit, and then flop down under my desk and nap. Sometimes he would hop on my bed and walk around. I've never seen him run and I've only seen him jump a couple times when he's eager for his food. He's a large bun, so it's possible my room isn't big enough for him to run very far (even though it's a pretty big master bedroom). Recently, after not getting as much out-of-pen time, he's been even lazier. He only wanders outside if I tempt him with treats, and then pretty quickly will go back into the pen.

Aside from leaving his door open for several hours a day and leaving food around my floor, what can I do to encourage him to exercise more? I've heard a lot about buns darting out of their cages with excitement and running around, but I'm lucky if Chipotle even feels inclined to hop around slowly. He's just so lazy. Should I be concerned?

How old? Rabbits have a range of personalities. As for being active, my first rabbit was a rescue from a city park. She was probably 9 months old when we got her (Easter bunny abandoned in September in a city park). Just for amusement, we turned her loose in out back yard. In these early days, she was still confused as to where she really was. She tried to run away and my wife and I started chasing her to catch her. (She couldn't escape the back yard) After quite a bit of chasing, she finally collapsed and laid on the ground out of breath! I thought, Oh my... a 9 month old rabbit has been outran by two people in their 60's! To me this was conclusive evidence that Bunny had been caged all her life. She had absolutely no stamina! She became our house rabbit. She lived the last 11 years of her life free of life in a pen or cage. She lived completely free in our house. Same with our two now Flemmish 4 3/4 months old babies. They haven't lived in a pen or cage for over a month. They do run and jump as they exercise in the house.

I'd think your bunny would like to exercise when allowed free runs. However, on the other hand, bunnies are very individual. It's possible your bunny is happy to relax rather than exercise!!!

Just be considerate and respectful with you bunn, this makes everyone happy.

Latest posts

Back