Some questions for new bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnilove

Reaction score
Hello all!

I wanted to take the time to say how awesome it is to have a forum full of so much information and caring members to answer any question rabbit owners might have! You guys are awesome! :)

I am starting this topic because I have recently adopted a very young holland lop, she will be 8 weeks this Friday, she is alittle early in age I realized. She was socialized before and is doing really well. But unfortunately she is still very afraid and she does really well by herself. I have held her the correct way and place her on my bed but I feel like I am expecting a lot out of her since its been a couple days. I have separated my two other cats but they both have acquainted with the smell of each other. I am in no rush to introduce them as I have a safe area for her and want her to feel comfortable with me first. I guess my question is that when is it the best and right time to start handling a baby bunny at that young of an age when she had moved to a whole different place? Is there a way I would need to reduce the scent of my cats if naturally other smells of pets bother rabbits? At the moment she's just very afraid and curious, but I can tell she's very sweet. She just runs away from my hands and the sound of my voice, so I'd like to go to square one and I want to do everything possible to successfully bond with her. Since she is so young is she able to better bond as she gets used to me over time? Thank you guys for reading on my post and I appreciate your time!

Thanks so much!!

Rabbits can be naturally fearful of new things, it's a survival instinct. It's not recommended to handle them when they are still so scared, the best thing to do is always just let her out and sit/lay on the floor reading or doing something and just ignore her. Rabbits are also naturally curious so with time she will just have to know what you are and what you are up to and will come over and explore you. The first few times she comes over it's best to still ignore her so that she knows that her approaching doesn't always get a response from you. You can also get her used to your voice by quietly reading out loud or just talking to her softly whenever you're near, even if you're doing something else.

When she's a bit more used to you then you'll need to work on picking her up. Most rabbits don't like to be held or cuddled, so getting her used to being picked up is more about for when you need to pick her up for something, rather than picking up for a cuddle. For cuddling, most rabbits simply like to lay down next to you and have their head stroked.

Latest posts

Back