When to spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been reading some literature regarding the best age to spay a rabbit. Some literature states 4 months (or onset of sexual maturity) and some say 5 to 8 months. I understand that the less hormones circulating in the system the more reduced chance of developing a reproductive-type cancer like mammary or ovarian.

I had my previous bunny spayed at 8 months of age. I was planning on doing this with our new baby, but was wondering what other might say. She is about 9-10 weeks old, and appears to be a dutch mix.

Depends on your vets confidence level and their willingness to spay/neuter smaller bunnies.

There is NOTHING wrong with spaying/neutering them early. It does not affect their ability to grow up big and strong. All the bunnies I've had done were between 3 and 3.5 months old when done (boys and girls) Boys just need to have had their testicles drop.
I personally prefer getting it done BEFORE hormones start to kick in and they turn into bigger brats.

Most people will say to wait past 6 months, but there is honestly no need to wait that long, especially if you have a pair and you want them to stay together, don't want babies, etc...

I was apprehensive to put her through the surgery too early, but would rather her be spayed sooner versus later. With my previous bun, I was so concerned with her not being "big" enough so I waited. I read a few things about the spay surgery (or anesthesia) being riskier on a younger rabbit, and I wasn't in any need to spay her immediately since she was my only rabbit. Those hormones surely did start to kick in in the 6-8 month mark and she was quite the little brat!

I'll likely wait a month or two before I schedule her since she is still just 9-10 weeks old. Additionally, I am about 95% she is a "she" but I have been fooled before!

Latest posts

Back