First time mum not building a nest?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlyeverett2410

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to the rabbit breeding world and have a few questions. I bred my doe, Willow, with my buck, Jasper, on the 12th and 13th of January (both first time breeders) which means my doe should now be 27 days pregnant. Although i'm not sure if she is actually pregnant, i tried palpating her on the 14th day but i don't know if i was doing it right and didn't want to hurt her. I put the nest-box in yesterday but she isn't showing much interest in building a nest, all she does is dig up the hay and shavings and lay in there and I still can't feel any distinct kit shapes in her belly (she just feels full). Does this mean she's not pregnant or is she waiting to build it right before the birth? Thanks Carly.

We have some does who will build a nest early but most wait until 1-3 days before kindling. A few of our first timers built no nest and had kits on the wire. Some first timers don't do things right, unfortunately. You'll just have to wait her out...clean the box if you need to and keep giving her hay. If the breeder knows how to palpate you should get her to show you...it helps, so you don't have to sit and wait and wonder until day 35 if she's going to have anything.

Latest posts

Back