Nesting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_08

Reaction score
Willow is nearly 7 months old. I haven't had her spayed yet due to losing our last bun during his op. Also the vet suggested we get her used to being handled before considering an op.

Anyway, she has, from what I can figure out by her behaviour, come into season a couple of times. This time, she has made a nest in her cage out of hay, a blanket and pulled fur. I think she is back to her normal self but I don't want to upset her by clearing out her nest but I need to clean her cage....Suggestions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks X

Rabbits don't come into season as they are induced ovulators (meaning that no matter what time of year they mate an egg will be released and they can get pregnant). Willow has simply had a false pregnancy, where her hormones have told her she's pregnant, even though she's not. On occasion spayed does will also have false pregnancies, but it's much more common with intact females. If it's been a few days since she built the nest and she isn't doing anything else to it, you can remove it without causing too much upset. Often if you remove it before they're done building they'll simply build it all again, but if she's done with it you shouldn't have any trouble removing it.

On the off chance you need to clean her cage while she's still nest building. You may be able to spot clean the nest, removing only the soiled bits and leaving the rest for her so that she doesn't have to start all over again.

In regards to having her spayed and concerns from losing your previous rabbit during his neuter, you can get blood work done before the operation which will show results on organ function etc and will let you know if there's anything to be concerned about. I'm not sure how much these cost.

Ah. Thank you. This explains a lot. She doesn't seem to have done anything to it for a few days and I've been cleaning around it anyway so will just remove it during tomorrow's clean.

I will speak to the vet again about the op.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back