A bit about "binky"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murielsayer

Rabbit Novice
Reaction score
Upon my introduction to the world of rabbithood, I quickly encountered the word "binky," used of course to describe everyone's favorite bunny-bounce of joy.

I thought to myself, then and ever after, "UGH. I hate this word. WHY IS IT USED?"

One, it's generally used to mean 'pacifier' (aka "paccie" in the USA, "dummy" in the UK) or as a term for a toddler's favorite blanket ("do you want your binky?") and I have always associated it with cutesy baby-talk (which I have loathed since I was, well, a baby).

But back to WHY. This morning, I decided to do a search on the etymology of "binky," and found this site:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/41469/etymology-of-binky-three-questions

Turns out, the earliest use of the term has been traced to the mid-nineties:

"Binky was coined by Dana Krempels (or her sister) in 1994 (or 1995) on the PetBunny mailing list (started in 1994 and still going strong). The term was included in Ken Albin's 'UNOFFICIAL PETBUNNY DICTIONARY', reposted on 12th July 1995:"

Albin says: "During that era a lot of us would simply make up words that somehow sounded like the actions our bunnies would make. I had 5 editions and would ask for new words each time. That is how most of the words originated on PB, from our strange imaginations rather than from rational derivations."

How "binky" made it to any top five list, much less to number *one,* is beyond me, but there you have it.

Some words of sanity from a piece about Matt Groening, linked to on the etymology page I have quoted from: "He called it "Life in Hell". The comic strip starred Binky, the lonely buck-toothed rabbit (In 1985, he told Los Angeles magazine that Binky was the "stupidest" name he could think of) and it soon became an underground success in L.A. Matt found himself making 500 copies instead of 20. In 1980, the strip started to appear in the Los Angeles Reader, a weekly paper where Matt worked as an editor/delivery man."

Oh, Matt. If only someone had read that LA Times article...

Also: I suppose, if I am going to carp about the word "binky," I should offer some alternatives - not that I think they will be used, but just to provide them rather than complain without suggested replacements.

1 - sopwith

If there are "helicopter bunnies," why not stick with an aviation theme? The Sopwith Camel is a famous early American aircraft. It had a little bit of a crash-y reputation (I've seen several buns land unsteadily after a high hop!) but was nonetheless a successful small plane during the early 1900s. It's also a great word and was used widely in Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" cartoons as Snoopy's imaginary aircraft in his elaborate scenes with the Red Baron.

2 - triple-axel

If not aircrafts, why not ice skating? This is the toughest move out there, one that made (and then broke) the career of US Olympic badass-turned-crook Tonya Harding and has launched countless other skaters to stardom. And they make it look so EASY - just like rabbits!

3 - rumpus

"Look, she did a rumpus!" Okay, not the traditional way to use the word, but it's got some flair to it. And after a big hop, there's generally some (positive) commotion over the display!

4 - Singapore Sling

Name it after a drink! Why not? And "sling" can mean "throw" or "fling," as a rabbit does with itself during a happy hop.

5 - John hop

Cockney rhyming slang for 'cop.' Not that that is particularly relevant, but RHYMING SLANG. Come on!

See also:

6 - hopscotch

There's lots of jumping in this game. And it's rhyming slang for 'watch.'

Do you have any words you use in place of "binky?" Share 'em!

I guess my bunnies spend about 99% of the day sleeping or eating. Then they go crazy chasing each other, bouncing off the furniture, jumping on and off tables...they are astoundingly acrobatic! Of course, as they run along the carpet, they sometimes do binkies...hopping on their hind feet with bodies upright and shaking their ears. Also, when they run, they often kick their hind feet like bucking broncos...I'd guess this response is to give a predator a kick in the face.

Another descriptive word as an alternative to "Binkies"....how about "Silly Buggers?" From home, you're talking to our spouse on the phone and you say, "Dear, the bunny is running around the house and playing silly buggers! I first heard the phrase 'silly buggers" in Australia and it referred to similar exuberance by a house cat.

Actually. I think we should stick to binkies. It's a bunny owned term!!

Latest posts

Back