extreme hairloss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuruz

Reaction score
So, i'm wondering, my bun is shedding extremely theese days, i'm actually kind of worried... if I pet her there are big big big fluffs flying in the air? Do you experts think this is normal? My apartment looks like i have a giant fluffy golden retriever ;)

I think it's pretty normal, or at least it was for Bandit, he would go through periods of extremely heavy shedding and even if I vacuumed daily there was still fur everywhere. Make sure you're brushing her at least once a day at this time to reduce the amount of fur she's ingesting when she grooms herself. If she's an inside bunn I recommend putting her up on a table outside to groom her so that you don't knock all that fur loose inside the house :D

Bunnies can have noticeable shedding moments. Take care, that they don't lick and swallow their hair. Unlike cats, they cannot vomit up hair balls. If they don't eat and don't poop, for a day...i's a very serious emergency.

It's totally normal. For some rabbits it's more impressive than for others... The best way to remove a lot of dead hair from the source without the rabbit kicking a fuss is simply to get your hands a bit moist and to pet your rabbit. I do it while my rabbits eat their vegetables and it works like a charm (a brush getting near their rear ends will cause an immediate rebellion). Hair shouldn't cause any problems as long as the rabbit eats his hay. Hair balls only appears when your rabbit's guts are already slow, hair doesn't cause GI stasis by itself, so there is really no need to worry - even if, of course, an eye should be kept on the litterbox at all time ^^.

Bunnies can have noticeable shedding moments. Take care, that they don't lick and swallow their hair. Unlike cats, they cannot vomit up hair balls. If they don't eat and don't poop, for a day...i's a very serious emergency.
Just to re-word this a little. Be pro-active combing them to remove the hair they are shedding. They more you remove, the less that hair ends up in their primary stomach (similar to ours, they also have a secondary stomach, the cecum). A hair ball in their primary stomach can lead to GI Statis. (GastroIntestinal Statis) GI Statis, once it develops can quickly kill bunny.

I believe bunnies are very robust animals in general, but GI Statis makes them very fragile.

Latest posts

Back