Dry flaky skin after injection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocolache

Reaction score
My rabbit had some GI issues and was taken to the vet last Monday, the vet gave an injection for fluids and some oral antibiotics. He recovered from GI issues well but two days later we noticed a red area of skin at the back of the neck where the injection was, about 5x3cm in area, was a little painful to touch for him back then. Now the redness has gone down slightly but the skin area has quite a bit of fur loss and become very flaky. There is a red spot from where I suspect the injection was given. I'm not sure whether this is mites or just a reaction to the injection, the pain seems to be gone now as he does not react when I examine the area and he doesn't even seem to notice it at all. My other rabbit did groom him a little in that area but not excessively (as far as I can see) as to cause overgrooming issues. He's an indoor rabbit and has never had this issue before or came into contact with infected rabbits. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

My bun was vaccinated about 3 weeks ago and she still has little flakes of dry skin on her neck, near the base of her ear. There was a little red scab about a week ago which has since gone and I thought this might have been where the needle went in. However the flaky skin is still there!

It would be helpful if you could post a good clear photo of the spot
I can imagine there might be some redness as a result from a hematoma, they don't typically get flaky skin on hematomas however.

https://instagram.com/p/BBWF7Ycpek6/ See if this works, this one's taken over the weekend, I'll get a clearer picture tomorrow morning. My main worry is that he might have gotten mites at the vet but he wasnt in contact with any other animal that day...

Last edited:
My bun was vaccinated about 3 weeks ago and she still has little flakes of dry skin on her neck, near the base of her ear. There was a little red scab about a week ago which has since gone and I thought this might have been where the needle went in. However the flaky skin is still there!

Was there associated fur loss? I'd think a scab would be alright but my bunny's losing abit of fur as well in the region

No fur loss! I have to search through her fur to find the area... Seeing my vet next week will have to ask her! Yours looks like what I was told to expect from the vaccination... more fur loss than I would have been expecting though ��

Last edited:
Have you been able to have a close look at the skin in other areas? Perhaps you bun is slightly dandruffy elsewhere too but it was only noticed here because of the needle? I could see if damage was done to the tissue upon insert and removal of the needle causing hair loss, but the dandruff doesn't quite fit imo.

Have you been able to have a close look at the skin in other areas? Perhaps you bun is slightly dandruffy elsewhere too but it was only noticed here because of the needle? I could see if damage was done to the tissue upon insert and removal of the needle causing hair loss, but the dandruff doesn't quite fit imo.

At first it was only the neck area, none on the back and other places, but yesterday I noticed it spreading down the back so I'm more inclined towards mites now. Just gave him a mite treatment, will see how he responds to that. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back