First step in bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So panda is coming up on her 10 days post surgery on Friday. You know what that means?! I can finally start bonding her with Rocket! This is the first time I've ever done this so I'm completely new at this process. I was wondering if you guys could give me any ideas on maybe what to try first? What behaviors should I look for to prevent a fight? At what point is mounting enough and they should be separated from that session? Anything you think I should know, feel free to tell! I want it go well and I don't want anyone to fight. I know that it probably will happen but I'm trying to prevent it as much as possible. Thanks guys!

How much background research have you done on bonding? There are different methods from which to choose.

A common method is using "bonding sessions" where the bunnies are allowed to interact for short periods of time. Gradually those times are increased in length.

Another method is putting the two together in a neutral location and keeping them together under close supervision.

Here are links to both methods:
sessions: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml OR
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qraiZ8g6M#t=89"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qraiZ8g6M#t=89[/ame]

and for the other method of putting and keeping them together:
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Just one note on the video though. I hesitated to include the video because such videos seem to be a dime a dozen. The problem with such videos is that they can leave a wrong impression. It has been my experience that every bonding looks totally different. The one in the video seems rather easy and can lead one to think that this is a "typical" bonding. I don't think there really is such a thing as a typical bonding.

The cottontails site eventually also shows several videos. These videos I found more helpful because there are samples of an easy bond, a more difficult bond, and a bond attempt that just wasn't going to work. The contrast of those videos I found most helpful.

Thanks so much! I have done some research on bonding so I have a general idea of what needs to happen. I'm just really nervous I guess.

How are they currently living? It helps if the buns can be in pens/cages that are next to each other so they can get used to having another bun in the room.

The neutral area trick worked best for me. My friend also did the car trick-Put them in a big box/basket and drive around. They will get scared and look to each other for comfort.

Good luck and keep some oven mitts handy in case of fights!

Thanks so much! I have done some research on bonding so I have a general idea of what needs to happen. I'm just really nervous I guess.

Bondings always make me nervous too! But they do say that it is helpful to bury that nervousness when the time comes so the bunnies don't sense it.

For me, I review all the bonding info I can get my hands on beforehand so I am as prepared as possible.

You'll also need to decide which bonding method to use -- the one with short sessions, or the supervised marathon.

I'm also in the camp against stress-bonding. My own opinion is that it is only effective with bunnies that are already inclined to be fairly easily bonded. The buns that aren't going to bond may only get a temporary sense of bonding that is forced but not real. These ones aren't going to benefit from these stress situations in the long term and are more apt to have a falling out later on. (my opinion)

Some good suggestions and I think most has been covered in that regard, I just wanted to mention that it's best to wait longer than 10 days after surgery. While Panda is probably healed from the surgery, you need to consider that she will still have remnant hormones in her system for 2-4 weeks which can make bonding more difficult. I would recommend waiting 4 week, at the very least 3 before starting the bonding. Not that it can't go well before then, but you put them at more risk of conflict and fighting because those hormones haven't completely left her system yet. It's harder to make them forget that they had a fight than to avoid one completely. :)

UPDATE: started bonding this morning....it went FANTASTIC! Better than I could have imagined. I closed off my kitchen and had them in there. I put water bowl, 2 food bowls, and a litter box with hay. I had a squirt bottle just in case but didn't have to use it once! Panda did mount him for a couple seconds but it didn't amount to anything. For the most part, they sat in the litter box together while one was eating hay. Rocket does seem to be indifferent about her right now. He doesn't really move when she is right next to him but as soon as she moves, he'll start eating his hay, etc. he did nudge her with his mouth one time. I'm not sure if he was nipping at her or what but she didn't really react to it so I'm sure whatever he was doing, wasn't hurting her. I did the session for 20 mins and I will be doing another one later today. Overall I'm very pleased and excited. I have high hopes for them!

Latest posts

Back