Conflicting info on how long spaid male is still "risky" after procedure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPguy

Reaction score
Our male, Benjamin, is almost five months old now. He was spaid (sp?) right at four months, so it has been three + weeks since his procedure. We were told by our vet to keep him separated from his sister for three weeks after the procedure. Of course I have read 3 weeks, 4 weeks, and even TWO MONTHS.

This disparity in information leads me to think that there is little objectivity in a lot of information out there on rabbit physiology.

What have you folks actually read from research, or found to be accurate from first-hand rabbit care?
Thanks for your assist. We will persevere, but keeping the brother/sister separated is quite the chore, and they took such comfort in one another as little bunnies.

"Neutered" is the term used for desexing males but can also be used to describe desexing in general no matter the gender. "Spayed" refers to desexing a female.

It can differ animal to animal.
Nobody can make any guarantees. Because nobody goes around asking animals to do the deed into a little cup so they can test for swimmers.

If the female was spayed at the same time it wouldnt be an issue.
I would personally wait at least 1.5months. Better safe then sorry.
You shouldnt be trying to bond them until she is spayed anyway.

I have seen varying lengths of time as well, including 8 weeks. It seems the adage, "better safe than sorry" would apply. Perhaps that is where the 8 weeks idea came from -- giving some extra time just to be sure. This would be for males.

That time does not apply to females being spayed. They just need time for those stitches to heal.
She should be spayed too to prevent her hormones from interfering with a bond.

Blue eyes, note how similar our ( full moustached ) female, Bonnie, looks like your mini-lop (black&white) ! Interesting.
Thank you again, watermelon and blue eyes for your advice. We will take this info into account and extend our time to 1.5 months. We prefer to not neuter the girl until she is about 6 months old (get through Christmas first) and after Christmas she will be 5.5 months old. Does that sound about right for a female? (again, a mini-lop)

Its up to you and whether your vet is competent enough to do the surgery on a slightly smaller animal.
Every girl I have had done was 3-3.5 months old when she was spayed. Never had to worry about hormones or bonding. Smaller breeds then a mini lop too.

Latest posts

Back