6 fluff balls born, i was supposed to have 2 males

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanneellison

Reaction score
i bought 2 beautiful buns from a pet shop which i was told was male and to cut a long story short they really are male (willow) and female (squiggles). on the 4th nov squiggles kindled 6 baby buns, she has done so well saying she was not even 6 months old. as soon as i seen them mating i separated them thank god. they are 4 weeks old tomorrow and im that in love with them we are keeping them all. i cant bare for this to happen to one of the babies (getting pregnant at 5 month). the pet shop has paid for willow to be neutered and they have said depending on ratios or male/female of litter they will do the least out of them too. this i have demanded from them. my question is, as soon has the plums have appeared on males can they be neutered. i want them all bonded together, already bought the bunny mansion. any help would be most appreciated thanksxx

If you expect to bond them all or have a "colony" the females need to be fixed too.
You should be separating the babies at 8 weeks at least. All boys should be separated and removed from the females at least.
The father needs to be far away from this situation as well.

As for when they can be done, that depends on the vet. A confident and competent vet can do them as soon as their testicles drop, whenever that might be (8+ weeks). Most will claim you need to wait until their 6 months. But there is no negative to doing it early. Just depends how good your vet is.

Pet shops are often wrong with rabbit genders unfortunately. I'm glad they're covering the cost for you of neutering, not many places would do that.

im hoping the boys can get done as early as possible so as not to lose the bond and then im getting the females done as soon as the vet will do them. the boys that get done will be in a different hutch for 6 weeks after op so as not to get momma pregnant and willow is due to be rebonded be the time they are 8 weeks anyway which will free up the hutch for the boys to go in. im in a rush aswell because the hutch im using to keep them in while their hormones subside is smaller than the house for them all to go in, and i dont want them in it for months. im hoping for a system of operations getting done as soon as the hutch is free for the next bunch done lol.. its a good job im in love with all these buns. thankyou for the great advice. i too thought they had to be about 5 months (boys) that makes me happier now. xx

That's why I've always checked for myself. I picked up a cute little one from the shelter--"Mixed male mini" was how the ad read--she turned out to be really mixed, but was one of our sweetest, just not a male. Our vet says this about testicles, "If they show they can go!"

Latest posts

Back