Concerned again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony27

Reaction score
Hi All,
So about two months ago, our rabbit Apple a 5 yr old dwarf mini lop, went through a rather nasty bout with an upper respiratory infection and we almost lost her through a combiniation of that and a severe case of GI Stasis, we went against doctors orders and didnt put her down, she has been pretty good since, we have her on florfenicol once a week and two doses of 0.5ml of meloxicam per day, she has repsponded very well and her breathing has been great. However since mid last week we noticed she was eating much less again and her mood had gone to a depressed and lethargic state rapidly. We have taken her back to the vet, and they still don't hold much hope for her, they ran her bloods and there was a depletion of vitamins and proteins that suggests she has not been eating well for two weeks, we have her on 5ml of critical care every four hours, but its hard as my wife and I both work from 9-5.
She is still eating a bit, only mainly when we dangle some food in front of her, the rest of the time she stays kind of huched over and looks depressed, anyone have any thoughts on what we should do, we dont want to lose her!
cheers
Anthony

Give her her critical care 3 times a day through a syringe and make sure to give her some treats on the side like carrots and bananas to give her some extra vitamins
Also make sure to pick her up every few hours to make sure she's putting on weight
Another thing you should consider doing and letting her stay out of her cage during recovery so she can confortably go where she wants to go, it'll give her more hope of survival. Rather than being in a cage
But NEVER forget to feed her the critical care
During this stage it is very vital for her to be syringe fed
Best of luck!!!

Hi all,
Apple lost the good fight yesterday, we are devastated, we had to put her down, she had a fluid build up in her lungs and was not getting better and had lost a lot of weight, I hope we made the right decision......**** I am going to miss her, the world just got a little less fluffy today
lots of love
Anthony

Latest posts

Back