Chewing Chewing Chewing!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaJade

Charlotte
Reaction score
Hello, so I am buying a new hutch next week for my two girls, but they love to chew the inside of the hutch even when they have plenty of toys to chew around them. The joys of a compulsive chewing breed. :rollseyes

Is there any sort of safe wood treatment that I can buy that prevents the little madams from ruining the new one! The wood is thinner than my current hutch (which is falling to bits) so I would like to prevent them chewing the new one!

Thanks heaps!
Charlotte.

(I do live in New Zealand,so New Zealand stores and sites would be helpful!)

Is this for indoors or out? Can you post a photo of what you have been using? Would be curious to see what areas they are mostly chewing.

I've used clear plastic corner beading (self-stick) on wood edges to prevent chewing.

I've heard of people who rub stuff that isn't toxic onto the wood to prevent chewing. I think one of those things was bitter apple spray :/

I have this same problem with Emerald, one of my outdoor bunnies.

The experience of me and my wife is a little different. We have a pen in the living room, and when we are at home, the buns can roam. We have blocked off the bedrooms because the buns will immediately get stuck living under our bed. When we got our previous rabbit, Bunny, she was an adult. Running loose in the house, short story that her chewing problem were a passing phase. At the later years of her life, chewing was mostly a memory. Fast forward to our 3 1/2 Flemish babies....arghhh! Chewing is a concern. As I said, they run loose when we are at home. I've bought pine lumber, 2X4, short pieces and leave pieces on the living room floor. The idea being that they'll chew on this rather than varnish coated furniture. So far so good, no longer are trying to eat the furniture. They seem to like the natural wood of pine 2X4's. They are also aggressive about electrical wires, so I've protected them from wires. Here in the US, electricity is 110 volts, so it's not as lethal as 220 volts.

After many years of living with a sedate, older, people bonded, house rabbit...having two baby energetic Flemmish rabbits in the house is a new experience.
2X4 refers to lumber that is 2 inches by 4 inches. Actually, it's 1 7/8 inch by 3 7/8 inches. Don't know the metric equivalents.

Last edited:
I found a pic of the corner beading that may be used to cover wood edges inside a hutch. Hardware stores should carry clear plastic or even metal corner bead. The clear plastic often have a strip of self-stick tape on the inside for ease.

For bunnies roaming, I've used similar as Flemishwhite. The 2nd photo shows 1x3 untreated pine protecting baseboards.

corner bead[1].jpg

baseboards.jpg

Latest posts

Back