Successful abscess treatment?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there everyone I'm looking to get some advice on how to go about go about successfully treating an abcess. We took my rabbit piglet into the vet today to get a lump on her face seen to as I was pretty sure It was being caused by an abcess and after a good look over it was confirmed that it is in fact exactly that, thankfully he's pretty confident that it isn't attached to her jaw line or teeth. We were given 2 main options on what can be done, either have her go to surgery to get the whole thing removed or have her go for a needle every week to get it to hopefully go down. We were told to think it over as for now it isn't to bad (she's still eating, drink and fairly happy) and come back in about a week.
What I want to know is how well have people gone using either of these options? Has the needles worked for anyone else? And if it has, is it worth doing when we'll still have to get the dead skin removed? With either of these did you have to deal with abscess reappearing?
Although the cost difference is a bit of a problem as money isn't all that great atm but it's something we can work around one way or another.
Please tell me what you guys have experienced in regards to your rabbits abscess ^^

Ps. He opened it for us as well so we can help get rid of the gunk (unfortunately that is my job 😷) inside, hopefully that makes this easier!

You might do a search on this forum because there have been a number of threads on it. I haven't had to deal with abscesses but I know they very often recur after treatment.

When my rabbit got an abscess, the vet opened it up and cleaned it out. Then I had to do it twice a day for 2 weeks as well as administer batryil and meloxicam (I think that's what it was). He also needed a daily penicillin injection.

This worked really well and the abscess hasn't come back!

Goodluck with your bun x

Good new update!
It appears that the injection and cleaning it up has worked! Not to sure how it worked but it has completely gone down and looks like just a bit of a scrap, no sign of the big lump that was there! I am truly amazed and quite dumb founded as i had been expecting that it would take at least another few needles at minimum but it seems a miracle has occurred :yahoo:
I'll be giving the vet a call soon to tell him of what has happened and get her in for her next check up, hopefully this means she'll only need another few needles or some sort of antibiotic to keep it from going yuck :D
In the mean time i'll give a look through other threads to see if i can find out anything else ^-^

Latest posts

Back