Bunny Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne_Bunny

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this has been spoken about regularly on the forum, but I haven't found an answer that is applicable!

Peter is sneezing sporadically. I've caught him a couple of times but there is no discharge or matted fur. There has been no change in hay or surroundings. He is also completely fine in temperament and his appetite is huge as ever.

I have also caught him making a little grunting noise when he is sprawled out relaxing, no idea what that's about, but i assume it's a positive noise because he's always a happy bunny!

Thanks!

Lynne and Peter

(Here he is wearing his chew ball as a hat ageanst his will 😂)

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1448646944.886363.jpg

sneezing is normal if its about 3 times in a row if more you should check a vet but rabbits can have allergies from hay or other surrondings so they might sneeze from time to time but sneezes in one time shouldnt be more than 3 in a row

There's apparently a bacteria that lives in bunny's lungs all their life. It's at old age, when there immune system weakens that they succum to this bacteria. Our Bunny started sneezing and we were prescribed an antibiotic to give to her. It stopped the sneezing. It was expensive at about $30 a week. Took several weeks of this medicine to stop the sneezing.

There's apparently a bacteria that lives in bunny's lungs all their life. It's at old age, when there immune system weakens that they succum to this bacteria. Our Bunny started sneezing and we were prescribed an antibiotic to give to her. It stopped the sneezing. It was expensive at about $30 a week. Took several weeks of this medicine to stop the sneezing.

In another post, I said that I was giving Bunny Metacam, an anelgesic, by cutting a conical depression in a banana slice and giving her her 1 1/2 ml of Metacam. She had always expected a banana slice every morning for years, and so when it came to the Metacam infused banana slices, she would eat the medicated slices...actually she soon came to lick out the metacam first because it had a sweet taste.

The anti-biotic for the sneezing also had a sweet taste, but for whatever reason, Bunny would not take it when similarly cut a depression in a banana slice and gave it to her. We had to syringe in into her mouth. My wife would hold her on the dining room table and I'd sit on the floor. I'd put the syringe in her cheek, between her front incisors and back molars and slowly inject the medicine which she'd lick and swallow. If I ever did anything to her she didn't like, she'd run and hide for hours. After her syringing, she wouldn't go into hiding, she'd just go about her business as if nothing happened. After all it was a sweet taste so she must have enjoyed it to some degree.

Latest posts

Back